Middlestadt Machine Co .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Long out of business but what an effect it has had on the shops in the area . I started my appenticeship back in 77 . Machinist papers in 81 and toolmakers in 82. This was a family owned business with the owners being of German decent . Well over 150 craftsman were employed . Customers were NASA , DOD , GE , Electric Boat , Newport News as well as many others . At the time of their closing ( 1986 or so ) , I was managing the plant . I left 6 months before the closing and went to my current employer although I left for 30 years . Not about me , so to the equipment . Fast forward 35-40 years .

@Mill Lee farm sent a link to an auction this month local to me . Most if not all the equipment is from Middlestadt Machine . I spent a few years working part time for the company now selling the equipment . Tool and Die Specialties in Aberdeen was started by 2 brothers from AAI which I also spent many years . I have owned quite a few pieces of Middlestadts original equipment over the years , and they were always top quality as was their tooling . The Micromaster 618 I sold was original to MMC . The Hardinge DSM in the garage was also . All my original shop equipment came out of their company as well as most of my tooling which I have today . I'm rambling .......................

There is an auction in Md on bidspotter starting in mid-April . I need to attend whether buying or not . Most machines I'm familiar with . My attention will be focused on the Hardinge HLV-H with inch/metric threading option which was run by George Spraque his entire life ! :grin: If this goes at a reasonable rate within my budget , I'm on it . So let the bidding begin . Middlestadt's motto was always " Go for the Gold " . Guess I have to spend some gold for this machine . :eek:

Link to follow .

Attachments

• IMG_9696.JPG
    IMG_9696.JPG
    742.5 KB · Views: 13
Interesting bit of history! That’s an impressive list of customers!

By AAI I assume you mean Aircraft Armaments, Inc? Now a part of Textron?

So what was the reason for Middlestadt closing? Owners retiring and no family to take over? Unable to sell the entire business?
I see a lot of apparently impressive shops liquidating in the auction space and am wondering what causes it.

AAI is indeed Aircraft Armaments , now owned by Textron . Middlestadt closed because of a sub job that went nuclear during the job . They had the option to rebid but didn't . The time and money involved with inspecting the welds drove them to the point where they sold out to an investor . Long story .

63 degrees and the sun is coming out . Going to run up to Jacks Small Engines for their open house and checkout the " chainsaw chicks " . Then , out to the garage ! :encourage:

Back