Mill dolly. Has anyone tried one?

I am also in the pallet jack group. I'm 6'2" and I like the extra height after I put the risers under my equipment.

This may not be exactly what you want, but the idea will work with most devices you want to move. You just need to build it strong enough. I have used it on a tablesaw, jointer and cabinet. The one pictured is all wood and cheap castors and works very good.
This is also my first post, hope the attachment right.

Iphone download 2 019.JPG Iphone download 2 020.JPG

I have not yet used one, but am considering it, and I must admit that I like Mac1's pics. Since my Clausing 8520 is under 1000 lbs, I should be able to make something similar with steel tubing quite easily.

I have my Millrite up on wheels. Welded a frame out of 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 thick wall angle iron. Welded 5 inch steel wheels to the bottom. My neighbor has a fork lift picked it up and put the new base under it. Bought 1/2 thick anti-vibration pads from McMaster-Carr keeps it from rolling and self levels the mill. When I need to move it I use the floor jack lift just enough to clear the pads and I can push it around the shop by myself. The other plus is it is now at a very comfortable working height. Roger

I took a few photos of the dolly (moving cart?) that I described earlier in this thread. This version isn't really meant for leaving on the mill, but just for moving it when needed. I mainly used it to move the mill from the far back of a machine shop to the loading area. One person can easily push a 1 ton mill. And if you have gravel or rough concrete, you can lay down angle iron rails for the V-groove wheels to roll on. To install, I raise one end of the mill with a pry bar and slip half the cart under it, then repeat with the other side. Then bolt the side together, raise the corners to slip the wheels on and you are good to go.
cart01.jpg
5"x3" angle iron ends
cart02.jpg
Ugly welds, but they hold!
cart03.jpg
6" cast iron wheels (I have two extra sets if anyone needs some)

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

cart01.jpg cart02.jpg cart03.jpg

Lots of good ideas floating. What if? with Jacks idea (above) the four base holes were tapped, and ever so slowly one by one, bolts are
tightened lifting the mill evenly and Jack's idea slipped in there and bolted up. Myself its the quick and easy not a nasa machined thing.
You only need a little clearance on a concrete floor and if a wheel or something crokes it wont go far like 3/16 inch. Then when moved,
suppose these four bolts aid in leveling? I should think? For me, my four holes are like 3/4 I have taps for that, that should lift
3000lb or + only a shave of the floor. Then remove this (jig) put in the corner for who knows when......or never again.
golden rule;;;;; moving and rigging the heavy's keep it low to the ground.
samuel

Here is a picture of a dolly I built about a year ago with casters and it has worked real well. It is simple and effective
P1080318.JPGP1080317.JPG

M.L.Woy

P1080318.JPG P1080317.JPG

Back