Milling A Rod In Half?

kizmit99

Active User
Registered
Ok guys - I have another setup question...
Let's say I have a piece of drill rod at 1.25" diameter, 8 inches long; I need to mill half of the rod away. What would be a viable setup?

The only thing I'm coming up with is to clamp it in the vise with a piece of sacrificial aluminum between the rod and each of the vice jaws -- but it seems like as soon as I get it down to half diameter it would simply pop out? (haven't tried it, just seems like that would be a likely outcome).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I assume you mean half the diameter. Clamp the ends (to the table: don't use the vise). Mill the middle. Clamp the middle. Remove the end clamps. Mill the ends.

Yes - half the diameter...

Thanks for that suggestion - Sounds like a viable solution to the problem I stated...

Good question, are holes permissible on the back side for fixturing.? If not start with a longer piece and clamp it outside the desired length, mill it and cut the ends off then face if needed. A good deal of waste material is generated however.
If the material is cold formed steel it will move about a good deal if you remove one side.

Last edited:
I hadn't considered mounting it to another piece for holding it - that is also a good idea...
I actually have two different pieces I need to mill. One is drill rod and it will also have a chunk removed from the middle of the 'half' that remains, so I could start with a couple of mounting holes through the part to attach a another piece of square stock to for the initial 'halving'. The second part I need to do isn't actually drill rod, it's an existing part that is basically rod-shaped (but with several existing features already carved into it - it's a CZ-26 bolt if anyone is curious). I think I can probably get away with clamping that to the table at each end to mill out what I need to remove.

Thanks for the ideas.

Back