Milling attachment for Emco compact 8

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Happy New Year all,
I can't wait until I get a milling machine, becauseI need to start milling a little, NOW
I'm looking for some sort of milling attachment for my 25 yr old Emco Mair Compact 8 lathe or perhaps I could find a 4-6 inch rotary table ( with verticle and horizontal mount) I could fashion a method to attach it to my compact 8 lathe cross slide ?????
What I'm working on is trying to create a Dummy radial engine for a scale Model of the plane in my sig-pic. overall size is 6 inches and the hub or crankcase is about 3" with 7 cylinders. This is just a Mock-up for display, but metal motor . ( if i were King I would buy a Technopower 7 cyl engine $ 2,500....... Whew!) it's been on my mind for a long time and I can't wait any longer....... My wallet can't handle to 2-3 K that the mill and tooling will cost for probably another 6-9 months...sooooo I have to turn to my lathe to do the work and get the engine case going.
All advice is greatly appriciated
joe

I've got one of those I've been kicking around my shopfor over 20 years.I don't know what kind it is but I'll check it out this week sometime!

Paul

Paul,
i'll be waiting with ' baited Breath' to find out if the attachment you have will work on my 'compact 8'

if you need any information or measurements just let me know.. i have the original owners manual/ service manual
here's hoping...
joe

Joe I haven't found it yet, Its im my old shop somewhere I'll keep looking.

Paul

joebiplane (south jersey) link=topic=511.msg2290#msg2290 date=1294027140 said:
Happy New Year all,
I can't wait until I get a milling machine, becauseI need to start milling a little, NOW
I'm looking for some sort of milling attachment for my 25 yr old Emco Mair Compact 8 lathe or perhaps I could find a 4-6 inch rotary table ( with verticle and horizontal mount) I could fashion a method to attach it to my compact 8 lathe cross slide ?????
What I'm working on is trying to create a Dummy radial engine for a scale Model of the plane in my sig-pic. overall size is 6 inches and the hub or crankcase is about 3" with 7 cylinders. This is just a Mock-up for display, but metal motor . ( if i were King I would buy a Technopower 7 cyl engine $ 2,500....... Whew!) it's been on my mind for a long time and I can't wait any longer....... My wallet can't handle to 2-3 K that the mill and tooling will cost for probably another 6-9 months...sooooo I have to turn to my lathe to do the work and get the engine case going.
All advice is greatly appriciated
joe

What did you come up with, ?
I'm thinking of using this mill table bolted to an angle iron on the cross slide of my south bend 9".
3rd one down, CST-2539 , $85.
http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Milling-and-Rotary-Tables/650.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back