Milling on Tool Steel?

...Try a file if it cuts use hss if it glides use carbide.
That sounds like something that they should have taught us in machining school, but they didn’t. I have a feeling that I will be using that tip a lot.

Speaking of parting steel, I often get my HSS blade type parting blade caught in the workpiece, and I have to quickly turn off the lathe and back out the parting tool. This happens even though (1) I sharpen the tool before each job, (2) I am going in as slowly and steadily as I can manage, (3) I am as close to the chuck as possible (like 1/8" clearance), (4) I calculate my RPMs, and (5) everything is tightened down. Is this harmful for the motor? At machining school, we had large old machines and you could go in much faster, and I certainly never stalled the machine. I can't imagine what I am doing wrong.

Have you tried putting a relief cut behind your cut off tool? I don't remember where I picked it up, but early on I was shown to start the cut off about 1/2 the tool width of the cut then, move over and make your regular parting off cut. This extra cut helps to prevent binding. I've been doing this on my little Sherline lathe since I started with it and have never had an issue with it when parting material.

you may wish to cut some relief into the carbide tip for better performance, otherwise you may generate a lot of heat.
most brazed carbide tools need to be sharpened to make them useful on lighter machines.

i have reduced the shanks on many parting tools that were too large for the AXA holders on my shaper.
a milling machine would be faster

Just a few pics of some AXA adapters made to hold larger tooling . Your lower tool mounting shelf to the c/l of the boss determines what tool size you can use , and you make it what you need . These also free up expensive Aloris holders . I hope this helps .

Attachments

• IMG_0836.JPG
    IMG_0836.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
Back