Millrite knee crank - adaptation from BP?

AR1911

Active User
Registered
My Millrite came with no knee crank. I've been using a crescent wrench to move it up and down.

Not finding a used one after months of looking, I ordered a new crank and handle from Grizzly, which appears to be a BP clone. It's a nice chromed thing, with spinner handle.
Now I need to get the approx .500" round bore to a 5/8" square bore to fit the knee.
I'm wondering what bore the Bridgeport uses, and if I ought to buy the short adapter that the crank "teeth" engage?

Either way, I need to turn a round bore into a square one.
For tools, I have everything but a shaper and "one of those things that drills square and hex holes whose name escapes me".
I have lathes in various sizes, and the Millrite and a minimill.
I have a nice broach set, but I can't figure out a way to use that for this purpose.

I expect I'll end up setting up a shaping setup on mill or lathe and cut it that way.
If not, I'm down to a square file.

Thoughts, suggestions, alternatives welcome

How about making a adapter, sq. to round. Better then a file I think.
Paul

That was my plan. But then someone said Reid had round stock with square bores. Sure enough, they had something that looked about ideal, so I ordered one.
It's 1" OD, 5/8" square bore.
4" long approx.
One end is threaded 3/4" NC.
That gets me most of the way there.

You could also measure corner to corner of square and bore round bar to that dim. and add a couple of set screws on flats, then machine other end to 5/8" O.D. That way you just use round stock.
Paul

That would work, but it would booger up the shaft.
Most people don't leave these in place, so they come on and off frequently.

Back