cascao

Active User
Registered
After a bit of grinding.....

27457581194_1458fc9e00.jpg

27457581214_f2f223dac5.jpg

27457581234_16a7b1b799.jpg

Last edited:
One word of caution here, some valves are sodium filled and if cut, could explode on you. At least, that's what I've been told.

I've seen an example of a boring bar made from a very large valve about 1-1/2" diameter x around 40" long. They claimed it didn't vibrate or chatter when using it extended out 3 foot! I have a hard time believing that since the modulus of elasticity is constant in steels. With a 3 foot bending moment with a cutting load, the end of the boring bar will deflect a bunch! Say by about 1/4" or more!

My goal is to find smaller boring bar since brazed carbide boring bars easily cover bigger stuff. This one can work at holes from 8mm. But I will find one smaĺler soon.

On my test run it worked as spected. No chatter but used it at usual load and lenght.

I have heard of people attaching carbide inserts to valves to use as rudimentary flycutters when depthening valve clearance on pistons. Video below by FiatNutz, he has a pretty cool channel and although runs an automotive machine shop, his videos are pretty good. Maybe you could attach a insert to the valve similar to what he did? I can't see all of your pictures, so you may have done that already, if so my bad.

Back