Minimum Shop Size

I have a 14' X 22' shop with a 12" table saw, 14" wood band saw, floor drill press, 10" Atlas lathe, Burke # 4 horizontal mill, 4X6 metal band saw, 6" jointer, 13" planer, two metal shelving units, overhead wood stock storage, a 24" X 8' workbench, various shelving and tool storage units and a wood stove to warm my butt during the West Virginia winter. It's tight, but adequate. I think the secret is to have lots of storage and don't be afraid of reorganizing to suit your needs.

Good luck.

IMG00098.jpgIMG_2675.JPGIMG00101.jpgIMG00102.jpgIMG00103.jpg

IMG_2675.JPG IMG00098.jpg IMG00101.jpg IMG00102.jpg IMG00103.jpg

I have a 14' X 22' shop with a 12" table saw, 14" wood band saw, floor drill press, 10" Atlas lathe, Burke # 4 horizontal mill, 4X6 metal band saw, 6" jointer, 13" planer, two metal shelving units, overhead wood stock storage, a 24" X 8' workbench, various shelving and tool storage units and a wood stove to warm my butt during the West Virginia winter. It's tight, but adequate. I think the secret is to have lots of storage and don't be afraid of reorganizing to suit your needs.

Good luck.

Now that is real cozy. Home sweet home.

Keep any cutters or benders close to the door. That way your long stock can hang out side the door verse in the shop. If you have any small stands that dont get used alot, like a tube bender.... Put a hitch receiver in the floor and add the proper square to all the stand bottoms. Put wheels on anything you can like band saws or fab tables. If you can consolidate tools to tables. Fab table with welder and clamps, jigs etc in one piece. Hang storage from the rafters.

Good luck.

View attachment 69081View attachment 69080View attachment 69082View attachment 69083View attachment 69084

Nice looking shop in the woods. Good concept with hitch receiver. What you make a square tube mounted to floor vertically and a slip fit square on your equipment?

Yea just a plate and square tube. You could drill and tap or weld on a nut so you can take any wobble out. If you wanted it even lower to the ground, you could mount it side ways and make all the stands L shaped.

Or if you need less bulk on the tool, but can leave the stand, put the reciever portion on the base of the tools and the stand tube of smaller od.

I mean if you was looking to get fancy and wanted to retain a clen floor then you could cut out a portion and sink the base into the floor. I just dont know many willing to cut up their slab.

Round tube would work as well if you wanted to be able to rotate the tools. But if using a horizontal bender, you'll play hell.

Back