Minor rant on "standard" threads

Sharky

Active User
Registered
So I decided to make a couple one-piece cleaning rods for shotguns.

When I looked up the thread for the shotgun bore brushes I came up with:

5/16-27 "standard-US"

Seriously.... "STANDARD?"

Who's bright idea was that thread pitch?
I did find a HSS tap that size.... Only $28.00.... Only....

I wonder how hard it will be to single point my new cleaning rods...

How about the 1/2-28 and 9/16-32 for gun barrels. At least I can single point those!

Todd

5/16-27 UNS = Unified National Special.

I'd give you dimensions but, you do not specify internal or external. Or is this just a rant?

I would guess internal since he mentioned bore brushes as a problem and finding a tap for the threads - could be wrong though, as I'm running about 50/50 on my guesses. :thinking:

LOL... Yeah, you gotta wonder why things are weird like this. Actually, odd thread sizes don't come up for me too often but, I do run into tight tolerances on thread class once in a while. Just about anyone can thread a bolt to fit a nut but when someone wants a class 2 thread in the upper (tighter) 25% of the specification, it needs your close attention and sometimes I need to scrap the part.

Ray

Even worse their seems to be two different thread pitches for cleaning rods so you end up with different brands and nothing fits nothing. Or at least when I try anyway.

Started as a rant but I did consider single point threading the internal thread onthe rod. I did find a tap for only 11.00 so now thinking that is the way to go. I'm not feeling to excited about 5/16 internal single point threading attempts right now. Especially when there is an $11 solution. Thanks. On to my next cluster....

Back