Mist Cooling

ill have to look into that but i would think even finer particulate.
I have no way to measure if the there are finer particles but I don't think so. It seems to put out small droplets that are big enough to not aresolize. I can run it for hours and not see or feel any mist. As for rust, I do use Cool-Mist #77 fluid that does not seem to allow rust. Of course I have climate controlled shop and don't have a rust problem anyway. I do wipe machines down with oil from time to time.

Aerosols are divided among fumes, mists, vapors, and particulates (dusts). Each fraction works differently, but in general, the smaller the particulate, the longer it hangs in the air, meaning more contact time for your lungs. But that's in general.

Kool mist is made of a glycol ether surfactant and triethanolamine. The glycol ether is familiar to us, since it is the active ingredient in Simple Green and similar cleaners. As a mist, it is inhalable, but it has a high vapor pressure so wetted surfaces don't volatize easily. Triethanolamine will make you drunk if you inhale enough of it, and can give you the light feeling of a hangover if you've been breathing mists all day long. It is a IARC 3, which means it caused liver tumors in rats, but no evidence exists for humans.

Risk assessment is low, but I would favor a spitting nozzle rather than a fogging one.

Aerosols are divided among fumes, mists, vapors, and particulates (dusts). Each fraction works differently, but in general, the smaller the particulate, the longer it hangs in the air, meaning more contact time for your lungs. But that's in general.

Kool mist is made of a glycol ether surfactant and triethanolamine. The glycol ether is familiar to us, since it is the active ingredient in Simple Green and similar cleaners. As a mist, it is inhalable, but it has a high vapor pressure so wetted surfaces don't volatize easily. Triethanolamine will make you drunk if you inhale enough of it, and can give you the light feeling of a hangover if you've been breathing mists all day long. It is a IARC 3, which means it caused liver tumors in rats, but no evidence exists for humans.

Risk assessment is low, but I would favor a spitting nozzle rather than a fogging one.
Thank you John for the details - this helps us cut through the fear, uncertainty and doubt!

I bought a quart of Jancy Slugger. You can get just a quart off Amazon.

I mixed up a gallon in a water jug with a nice handle. Drilled a hole in the cap, and used one of the cheap misters that I had screwed to a speaker magnet. I can move it from the lathe to the mill and stick it on the toolpost or the quill so that it follows the work. However, I get tired of my compressor kicking on, so I put some in a spray bottle. Convenient for small jobs.

Thats the word i was looking for, spitting nozzle.
What would be a good option for this.

I dont have put much time into this as i dont have much but i started to make kind of a system with air pressure and also pressurised liquid so i can limit air pressure to limit the most fogging as possible.

So spitting nozzle is on my list.

Thanks for all informations and keep them coming

Dan

I need to revise my statements on triethanolamine. Currently, this family of chemicals is up for review by the NTP and OSHA/NIOSH for increased regulation. I haven't read the documentation yet, but my guess is the metabolic pathway to ethanol, which we all know is a health hazard, and we also know it is pleasant in small amounts. Looks like this one may be hazardous on paper but not in the small-scale home shop.

I have one of the cheap misters that have air and fluid needle valves on the body. By adusting the air and fluid flow you can get spitting. This mostly involves reducing the air flow. If you need a high air flow to clear chips you lose that.

Back