Mitutoyo 511 dial bore gauge repair

Braeden P

Registered
Registered
I was given a Mitutoyo 511-105n dial bore gauge for free since it was broken, the indicator is a 0.0001” but needs to be cleaned and is currently jammed, the “moving pin” (small part at very top of the second picture, pin is inside) was jammed so I disassembled it, removed the old oil and deburred the “moving pin” and put on a starrett indicator dated 1933! The back of the indicator had a mount that wouldn’t fit in the box and somehow the back of a 1933 starrett and newer Mitutoyo are interchangeable so now it fits. Now I can measure the bore of my 1983 atc cylinder to hone it without making a taper.

Attachments

• IMG_5627.jpeg
    IMG_5627.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5630.jpeg
    IMG_5630.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 14
Free tools are always good. Especially if it's a good name brand.
Just for grins, use a mic and pick a dimension to set your new tool at. Swap indicators (changing nothing else) and see if it reads the same.
Most of the wear you may find is in the "knee" that takes the movement of the tool measuring a diameter and converts it 90 degrees to actuate the dial indicator.

The knee just needed degreased and oil, I set the indicator to zero on the largest part of the bore than measured the bore gauge with a mic until it hit zero, I need to get the original indicator fixed since it’s a .050” range and 0.0001” reading. The 1” range 0.001” reading isn’t that good. The kit includes 50 thou increment spacers so you can measure any size

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 5
Back