Mitutoyo Glass Scale Compatibility

NegativeK

Registered
Registered
Has anyone had luck using TouchDRO with Mitutoyo Digimatic glass scales?

I recently acquired a mill with a Mitutoyo DRO + scales from the 90s. I looked into upgrading the head without buying new scales. Not only is there minimal info online about people trying to make them compatible, the vendors I spoke to basically responded with "lol nope". The info I could find on the TouchDRO site was limited to the Mitutoyo magnetic scales, mostly in the context of iGaging's implementation.

A replacement isn't high enough priority for me to spend money on a whole new system, since the system works, but it would be really, really nice to have more than just a zero button and inc/abs mode.

I suspect your scales won't be compatible, but without documentation it's hard to say. I've had a chance to "touch" Mitutoyo scales only once, and those were from early 80's. They used a proprietary connection scheme similar to their newer Digimatic protocol scales. Many of the newer scales that I can find online output two sinusoidal signals offset by 90 degrees. Those require a dedicated interpolation circuit which TouchDRO lacks (and would be pretty expensive to add).

Thanks for the reply! Maybe some day I'll get around to seeing what the scales put out, but like I said.. It's hard to justify poking too much when I've got a working system.

Back