Mitutoyo glass scale

SHop Apprentice

Registered
Registered
Question #2
I have a Mitutoyo glass scale on my Z-axis that I would like to use. I have no electronics. The encoder is part N0. 09AAB397. It is circa 2005. Mitutoyo web search is a no-go (retired). It has 8 wires - Purple, orange, brown, blue, green, red, white, and yellow. The white wire is of a larger gauge than the others. Mitutoyo often used white as the positive lead in their current encoders. I am looking for a schematic or a diagram to show the designation of the wires. If I can determine the power leads, I think I can analyze the rest but I don't think I am allowed to make mistakes on the power lead. I would appreciate any help someone may have. After several days of searching the net, I think an oscilloscope is in my future.

Thanks for having a look at this thread.

Attachments

• 20240102_142316.jpg
    20240102_142316.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 9
  • MitutoyoScaleWiring1.jpg
    MitutoyoScaleWiring1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 9
  • MitutoyoScaleWiring2.jpg
    MitutoyoScaleWiring2.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 9
Mitutoyo responded informing me that the requested diagram and schematic are not available to send at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to reach out to @ycroosh Yurli at forum sponsor Touch DRO. He's seen/worked with a lot of encoders.

john

Thanks John,
Both Yuriy with Touch DRO and Brian with Mitutoyo responded immediately. Brian asked for my contact information which I sent by the next day (Saturday). He did not respond for 9 days. I suspect he was out of the office. I'm not sure how to respond to Brian. Did he go from "No Problem to "Not now" or is it "No dice"? I am not sure of which I am dealing with.

Here is Yuriy's response:

5 Jan 2024

Hi Robert,
I don't know. Most Mitutoyo scales are not compatible, but they have a lot of models.
This page explains how to tell if the scales are compatible: https://www.touchdro.com/store/diy-dro-glass-scale-adapter-v2.html#specifications.

Regards
Yuriy

Last edited:
I followed up this Brian at Mitutoyo

Hello Brian,
I am aware that your position is not to service individuals with requests like mine. As a hobbyist, I have unlimited time to break down manufacturing practices. Although you do not have a schematic for me, might you have time to tell me what may be some conventions in Mitutoyo practices. I already know that the wiring harness uses White for ground and the gauge of the white wire is greater than all others. I know red, orange, purple, and blue are data lines. This leaves brown and green which I suspect are both positive voltage-in lines. I have photos of an open unit but unfortunately the colors are not distinct.

1705435166052.jpeg
Might you know what these lines are (e.g. +5v) without finding a schematic so that I may power up the unit and figure out the rest?

Attachments

• 1705435214934.jpeg
    1705435214934.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1
Mitutoyo responded that if they can find the info they will pass it along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back