Mitutoyo Metal Micrometer Bits - Save Them, The Can Replace The New Plastic Parts

BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
I bought a new Mitutoyo Micrometer and did not like their new plastic parts for the thumb lock and the ratchet stop. I wanted to see if the old metal parts were interchangeable and the good news is they are.

If you have old Mitutoyo 103 series Micrometers with the metal thumb lock and metal ratchet stop, you should save those parts even if the mic is ruined. Those old metal parts are interchangeable with the new plastic parts and I am sure someone - like me - would like to have those old metal parts. I am not sure why they went to plastic, but I really like the old metal parts better for look and feel.

I have used the same mikes now for over 50 years and have yet to ruin one, just sayin.
Then maybe there will never be any left over metal bits for others to scavenge. Mine are over 30 years old as well. However, I have seen some nasty looking ones that were left to rust away, have also seen a few dropped that were damaged, so could be a few parts out there somewhere. :)

I bought a new Mitutoyo Micrometer and did not like their new plastic parts for the thumb lock and the ratchet stop. I wanted to see if the old metal parts were interchangeable and the good news is they are.

If you have old Mitutoyo 103 series Micrometers with the metal thumb lock and metal ratchet stop, you should save those parts even if the mic is ruined. Those old metal parts are interchangeable with the new plastic parts and I am sure someone - like me - would like to have those old metal parts. I am not sure why they went to plastic, but I really like the old metal parts better for look and feel.

So far, the only metal items from Starrett that they have changed to plastic are storage cases. The biggest issue I’ve run across is that they use a lot of non-standard threads (although in most cases you can recreate these using adjustable dies since the diameter is what’s off - assuming you figure out what the closest standard is).

So far, the only metal items from Starrett that they have changed to plastic are storage cases. The biggest issue I’ve run across is that they use a lot of non-standard threads (although in most cases you can recreate these using adjustable dies since the diameter is what’s off - assuming you figure out what the closest standard is).
Good to know Starrett is keeping a good standard. I bought one of their small adjustable squares recently and no plastic. They do have a new satin coating on their rulers that is supposed to reduce corrosion, so hopefully that is an upgrade and not a downgrade.

Good point about saving those parts. The truth of it is Mitutoyo has cut corners (using plastic) to save money.

Good point about saving those parts. The truth of it is Mitutoyo has cut corners (using plastic) to save money.
Yes, at the end of the day, I think it always comes down to money. I am sure all those little metal bits add up over time.

Back