Mitutoyo MyCal caliper adjustment

Wreck,
Maybe you misunderstand. These calipers do not "hunt" tenths, not am I "hunting tenths". It was a very consistent reading. Exactly the same time after time.

Mitutoyo said that they should not be that way. With Mitutoyo's help we got the reading corrected. The tool repeated consistently before with the wrong reading. It now repeats consistently with an accurate reading. Why would I want a tool that consistently repeated an error if there is an easy fix (which there was)?

Why is it so hard for you to understand that if I can make an easy adjustment to a tool that makes it easier to use I would like to do so?

And, I cannot afford to replace tools every year if I do not have to. With some TLC and an occasional adjustment I take care of my tools rather than replace them. There must be more money floating around Jersey than in Kansas.

Wreck,

Why is it so hard for you to understand that if I can make an easy adjustment to a tool that makes it easier to use I would like to do so?

\.
I understand completely, however you began by stating it was not easy to zero set taking upwards of multiple seconds, also I often measure hundreds of parts per day 50 hours per week and tools just plain wear out over time and use.

No argument merely pointing out what such tools are used for, I have Mit and B&S micrometers that are 25+ years old and in perfect condition, I simply do not consider calipers "precision" tools just rough measuring devices. Constant use and environmental conditions take a toll on such things, chips, coolant, grinding dust and so forth. I you are a hobbyist and can keep everything in it's little plastic case when not in use good on ya, this grows tiresome for me, I have an entire box full of boxes so if you need some let me know (-:

Wreck,
Calipers are not a "precision" tool for either of us. However, for me and probably for you, they may be the most used measuring tool in the shop (second maybe to a scale).
You are right in that we have entirely different uses. In your situation frequent replacement would be a necessity (as several sets of new skis per season were to me as a ski industry professional). Everything about our need and use of calipers is different. I don't quite keep everything in its little plastic box, but close. I see where it would be almost impossible and very impractical for you to do so.
Happy Holidays!

I have dials but as a hobby guy I prefer digital. I see calipers as a precision measuring device when used properly.

Yes, I keep mine in the spiffy little plastic boxes they came in or in a holder when not in use. I keep them clean along with my shop and equipment. My expectations are for their zeroing function to work and maintain its setting regardless of their manufacturing origin.

In terms of my competency and validity of my opinion, I spent decades preparing to become a Hobby Machinist. FlusteredFlusteredFlustered

I would prefer to use vernier or dial calipers and mics just to avoid the dead battery scenario. However, my old eyes find it a lot easier to use digital displays.

The battery on a Mit digital 500 series last a loooong time and a very precise and best of all, they repeat consistently. The older dial calipers are great, but buying new, I would choose a Mitutoyo digital every time. The new dial calipers just aren't what they used to be. Also, never had a problem with the tenths digit or battery life. Some even have auto shut off function. Glad Mitutoyo tech was able to solve the OP's dilemma.

One thing I don't like about Mitutoyo dial calipers is that many of them or most, are made in Brazil., and some models have an accuracy of .002"
Older Brown and Sharpe/Tesa are much better calipers, I think. I've been looking for another 6" dial caliper for my tool box.. :)

I have three digital calipers (6", 8" and a 12") by 3 different manufactures, they all are absolute reading, I have set them once when new. All repeat to 0.0000 when turned on and closed, they all read within 0.0005" of each other on gauge blocks. I do a lot of Imperial and metric work, often flipping between readings, my eyes just get too tired of trying to read small dial gauges and lines. Often I work at tolerances of 0.001" or less, a good digital caliper can resolve to this level, beyond that I use a micrometer. My Mics are also all digital. Too each their own, but for this old buzzard I much prefer digital displays for numeric readings. The exception is when you are trying to determine runout and need to see the swing of the needle, I use large face dial indicators so I can see what it is doing.

Back