Mixing hydraulic oil ok or not

nnam

Registered
Registered
I used this in my lathe:

Back then, it was $45 for 5 gallons. Now, $62. Almost 50% increase.

So when I plan to do the quick change gearbox, I ordered this instead:

It's only $35 for 5 gallons. Has antiwear/antifoam. I probably will only use 1 gallon. So, what do you think if I use the second on to top off the main lathe gear train oil? I understand I can just buy another jug and top it off to keep peace of mind. But I really dislike spending money because of "lack of knowledge".

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am still interested in more information. But a simple backup plan is using this:

Or just replace the whole oil, but I rather not waste good oil.

I took out the filter of my lathe and cleaned it out (filled with 99% alcohol and blow air through it, both ends). The lathe was 90% more quiet. It's amazing. I will do it again just to see if there anything else in there. Maybe I will look up the filter and buy a new one. Power steering pump filter probably works, but it doesn't have a correct fitting (clamped on vs some thing that looks like a JIC fitting).

Be aware that some synthetic oils are incompatible with non sysnthetic oils and should not be mixed. My son used to work in a shop where a customer had mixed the two in a batch of escalator gearboxes when they changed the oil.
Every one of them had to be rebuilt due to bearing failure.

Motor oils of course are different, because the SAE standard requires that they be compatible.

Back