MK 3 Cross Slide Disassembly

hobbychop

Registered
Registered
Good evening gents. I have picked up my first hobby lathe and I believe it to be a Clausing Series 100 MK3 or 3a. It’s been sitting for a while so I’m slowly taking it apart, cleaning it up, and putting it back together. The compound slide handle spins but it’s a bit tight. How can I get this apart for inspection and cleaning? Same with the cross slide.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpeg
    IMG_1365.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0517.jpeg
    IMG_0517.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Welcome aboard Hobby Chop,

Looks like you got some goodies in the boxes. You already have nice size four jaw chuck and a quick change tool post to start with.

The lathe serial number is stamped into the right-end of the lathe bed where the tailstock is normally parked.

I also have a 100 mk3 Clausing lathe which was my father's lathe. You can still get some parts from Clausing. If part no long available, they can supply drawing of the part if the drawing is available.

Your lathe look to be very dry. I would start by soaking with penetrating oil such as PB Blaster, Kroil or WD40 the moving parts such as lathe's ways, gears, lead/crossfeed/compound screws and nuts to loosen everything up. You may have to work it back/forth to loosen. Hit everything with solvent to flush/remove the crud. After every dries up, coat moving surfaces (threads/ways) with way oil.

If you do not already have the Clausing owner manual and part list, download from here...

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/clausing-lathe-12-100-series-operation-parts-pdf.1614/

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/clausing-lathe-12-100-3-series-operation-parts-2-pdf.3306/

Good evening WEL0058. Thanks for the response. Yes, the lathe came with a ton of goodies. As a beginner, I’m still trying to figure out what I have!

I’ve started taking it apart to clean and lube, as I said before. Yes, I do have the manual and parts list. Unfortunately, it says I do not have permission to download from the links you sent. I’m sure I need more posts or activity to do that. The manual I have shows details but I’m still wondering how to get it apart without damaging it.

What lubricants/solvents do you suggest for this job? I’ve got lubriplate, Velocite No 6 spindle oil, way oil, and some usual lubes on the shelf.

The serial number is Q7841N. Can anyone tell me what I have? Thanks!!

Ok 5 minutes after typing that ^ I pulled the handle off and the rest came off like butter. I feel foolish lol.

Back