[How-To] Mockup a PM-1340GT VFD Without the Actual Lathe

joeslide

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Is there a cheap 3-phase motor I can use to mock up the control circuit without having the lathe on hand?

Thanks,
Joseph

Look for a used one locally. Otherwise I’m not sure if you can use one that’s smaller than your intended rating.

@mksj should be able to advise.

John

I believe there are upgrade motors for your future lathe. Maybe instead of looking for a cheap motor, buy one that you will be able to upgrade to a nicer motor in the future.

Why reinvent the wheel (see link below with details for the Hitachi WJ200 VFD, I also can provide the parameters and schematic for the Automation Direct GS21 VFD), why do you need a 3 phase motor to setup a VFD? If you want to convert a 1340GT to 3 phase, then very few motors will fit the motor space. The one I recommend is the Marathon E467A, Zoro has 20% off coupons if you sign up for their email spam, and free shipping. Basically you need a TENV 2Hp motor 145 frame size, TEFC are too big. motors are usually programed to run 20-100 Hz and you use ~2.7" pulley on the motor to the larger headstock pulley makes it a single belt ratio. Usually requires a BX26 belt, I recommend the Gates Tri-Power notched belt. The stock belt has been pretty poor in the past.

Back