Mods And Changed The Drill Quill Lever

kennyv

Registered
Registered

Hey guys wanted to bounce something out there. See if anyone has made mods and / or changed the drill quill lever on a RF-45 clone or similar mills ,

Recently I purchased a PM932 PDF its a 9x32 mill with power down feed option. I have found that the lower quill Drill down feed lever gets in way of work . Since it has two feed levers 180 deg apart even in the up most position the lower lever can interfere with work in vice and or work on the table .

Since I have a PDF model I plan on taking apart see if I can do a mod for the down feed assemblythat may accommodate a better handle position and operation of engagement in the down feed . Right now the only thing I see shorting the lower handle and making new knobs .
However love to see someones fix if they already worked this out esp including PDF operation mechanics .

Is there anyone with similar mill done these sort of mods ? If so can ya share perhaps post pic of how ya made it better .Ps If I dont get many responses, guess ill post pics my resolution when I get around to doin... thanksguys

DSCF1495.JPG DSCF1497.JPG DSCF1498.JPG

I don't have one ,but can't you move the levers to a different position by loosening the L shaped threaded piece in the center of the two levers.

Here's what I did to my RF-30. I made a new downfeed handle, with the end turned to the root diameter of the threaded holes on the hub. I then pressed on an aluminum collar with several 8x8mm magnets. The handle stays in place nicely, but is easy to remove in case of interference with the workpiece or vise.
.kHPIM3153.jpgkHPIM3154.jpg

Here's what I did to my RF-30. I made a new downfeed handle, with the end turned to the root diameter of the threaded holes on the hub. I then pressed on an aluminum collar with several 8x8mm magnets. The handle stays in place nicely, but is easy to remove in case of interference with the workpiece or vise.
.View attachment 113056View attachment 113057

Hey ats a good idea .. not sure what I can do yet till I take engagement apart ... ( see pic) to look what im dealing with .The PDF model has the lever used to engage. Only thing I can think of is adding a lever 90 deg position ( from top lever) and or else making the lower lever a stubby and using top only for engagement. Again ill have to take apart to see how the engagement mech operates.
Ya can see in pic the round hub on the unit ( where handles go through) has 2 lever locks , one for depth stop one to unlock a fixed handle to use for PDF engagement. Well in side that hub has a rotary style depth stop. don't know if adding something or machining through that hub is possible yet . (Need to see the guts) . Btw that thing is a PIA anyways ... Rather use a gauge blocks and a depth stop. The problem is it is designed to be a power feed disengagement NOT an accurate quill depth stop . IDK once I take it all apart ill make it work like it should.
Its like .200 off from Zero ( on the dial) , Im getting the hang of rotating lock setback off with Quill DRO to set depth stops But IMO that design is worthless if its not easily set . DSCF1497.JPG

Last edited:
Have you tried just calling Matt and asking him?
Even the receptionist (I forgot her name) knows the solutions to most common problems with PM tools. I was unable to get some collets into my mill when I first started to use it, she told me exactly how to correct the problem.
Is there a problem with just removing the handle that is in the way and re-positioning it or using the other handle? This is a pretty common thing on everything from drill presses to arbor presses. I like being able to move handles around.

Also, isn't the depth stop for manual drilling on the scale in the front? Don't own the machine, but that seems to be where the depth stop should be.

Have you tried just calling Matt and asking him?
Even the receptionist (I forgot her name) knows the solutions to most common problems with PM tools. I was unable to get some collets into my mill when I first started to use it, she told me exactly how to correct the problem.
Is there a problem with just removing the handle that is in the way and re-positioning it or using the other handle? This is a pretty common thing on everything from drill presses to arbor presses. I like being able to move handles around.

Also, isn't the depth stop for manual drilling on the scale in the front? Don't own the machine, but that seems to be where the depth stop should be.
Na not one in front on this model .. should be tho and is going to be when im done with it . The depth stop setting on side is technically to disengage clutch on down feed.
Nicole's the gals name from PM .. Yea I mentioned about the depth stop dial off by -.200 to Matty back when I got the mill but we had other issues
JMHO These sort of probs are China issues to sort out not defects < ..PM machines are well built and prob inspected better than any other China machine out there Matt is a great guy and his customer service is right on.. I should of posted this sorta Q on the PM section perhaps folks with the PDF model may have already found a fix

Back