Mods to $40 Chinese Cross Slide Vise

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought a cheap Chinese compound vise off eBay the other day. This thing was terrible! Ways were too rough to permit any movement, jaws were jagged, lead screws were sloppy, with maybe 1/4" backlash. It looked like it just came off the mold, or whatever, and was painted.

Today I took it apart and de-burred the jaws, smoothed out the ways, gibs and other surfaces, cleaned it all up and reassembled it. I didn't' take pictures while I was doing it as I had no idea how it might turn out. I was trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, as they say.

While it still has plenty of backlash in the lead screws, all axes slide smoothly with no slop. I think it is a usable piece of equipment for drilling holes in a straight line, drilling to the exact center of objects, etc. Now worth the $40. All it took was a fair sized three sided file, some medium grit emory cloth, and a lot of elbow grease. I used a block of 3/4" cold roll plate with emory cloth to smooth out the the jaw slide surface.

Attachments

• 40$ vise.jpg
    40$ vise.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9230.JPG
    IMG_9230.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9231.JPG
    IMG_9231.JPG
    369.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9232.JPG
    IMG_9232.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9233.JPG
    IMG_9233.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9234.JPG
    IMG_9234.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9236.JPG
    IMG_9236.JPG
    626.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Thanks @Tmate I got the same type of vise with a floor mount drill press. It’s pretty sloppy in all respects and is currently living on a shelf under my lathe.
If I get ambitious I will definitely refer back to your post for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I bought one years ago at a flea mkt. for the reasons you list, it's been pretty much unused. When I get things sorted, I'll have to follow your lead. Thanks for the tip!

Waaaay back when, my high school band director, Joe Perkins, (may he rest in peace) gave us some advice which has served me well;

You can't polish a turd.

jack vines

I've had one for a long time. After some similar cleanup work I put handles on the center gibb screws to use as locks. Bolted to the table, I could use the movements to get the part accurately located & with a stop mounted I could do repetitive drilling. Mine had Vs in the jaws. Before i had a mill I tried using the drill press and this vice, Didn't work. Not because of the vice.

I bought a $49 vise with the 90 degree tilt feature, thinking I would dedicate it to my shop made tilt table, and have compound capability. As noted above, the thing was terrible. From 5 feet away, it certainly LOOKED like vise, but did not measure like one. I ended up reworking the lock feature on the tilting function, cleaning and tuning up the movable jaw threads and clamping it in a setup on the mill and flycutting the base square to the bed and fixed jaw of the vise.

And now, it's more or less functional. I have to think of these as "vise kits".

I too bought one of those cheap cross slide vises years ago, it was at some kind of job lot store. I had an idea that I could use it to mill small parts on my drill press (before I bought a real mill). I managed to make a couple of simple parts, but the vise was real junk... I think the axes were about 85°, not 90, and it had no rigidity at all. I've occasionally used it since when drilling, but unless there's a setup I don't want to break I'm more likely to do my drilling on the mill, I use the drill press mostly for wood nowadays.

Also bought one and tried modifying it by attaching it to and angle plate on my small lathe before I had a mill . The slides not machined and yea not 90* never finished it And like those above I saved it and most likely never use the parts but because I spent about $75 :bang head:

Back