Motor Problems?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Good afternoon guys,since my last post in this section my 12"x 36" lathe has just been setting some till this past weekend.I have finally put it to work making some knobs for my 14" Delta/Milwaukee band saw.Guys these knobs I'm making out of 303 stainless steel and all is decent last few days until this afternoon.I believe the motor is original to the lathe and its missing the plate that indentify the motor size,rpm.This afternoon I started up the lathe making some light cuts stopping between passes checking the OD,all was good till I went to start it and make a pass.I would flip the drum switch and all it would do is hum.So I open the belt cover and started it again but this time spin the pulley which it would start running just like normal.So I did some drilling then shut it off,felt of the motor and its warm but not hot.Normally this would be a problem with the capacitor but this motor does not have a capacitor.Since I can spin the pulley by hand it starts up runs perfectly,no strange noises.I can release the belt tension to the spindle and it rotates freely.Just wondering if any ideals what may be wrong and if it can be repaired.But just in case I have to replace it what is the rpms and what is the hp of the motor?Its wired for 220v,runs to the drum switch to the motor,no starter.Thanks for suggestions----Carroll

If it isn't capacitor start it probably has a start winding with a centrifugal switch. Does it normally have a single audible click as it winds up and down, and does that click no longer sound? With those symptoms I'd think the centrifugal switch is stuck in the run position or the start winding is bad.

Thank you for responding,I will have to check into that.My hearing is not that good so I have never heard it either way,but I am going to pull it off and check it out----Carroll

Sometimes the motor does not have that metal housing bump where the cap is hiding. Sometimes the cap is in the cavity of the mounting base. Please check your motor. Good Luck, Dave.

Back