Mounting Base for Stepper Motor

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
This is the adapter plate I'm making for my stepper motor to mount on my gantry, the hole pattern was slightly different and I also need to make a coupling/adapter to connect the gear reduction shaft to the shaft in my stepper. Here's what I've done so far.

I had no way to drill a hole as big as I needed or accurately so I laid out the hole & chucked the stock in my 4 jaw. As you all know I'm a bit tooling challenged right now and a bit green. I racked my brain on how I was gonna mill this piece with what I had on hand, then I remembered seeing a picture on here of a rectangular piece chucked in a 4 jaw and the light came on. To center the piece I scribed an X from corner to corner then I put my live center in my tail stock & slid it up close to the piece and started centering it with the 4 jaw. After centering it I put my drill chuck in my tail stock along with a silver Deming 1" drill and bored a hole to start my cutter in. I really had to Jerry rig something up and made several changes of tooling & setups til I ended up with the big tool holder.

I couldn't cut the hole all the way through to the full diameter because of the reversed jaws were in the way on the back side. I brought the hole to dimension/diameter now I'm gonna mount it on my Burke mill & fly cut the back side till the hole is all the way through (Basically a back rake operation) I'll do that tomorrow night and post pics, I have some video also.

4 Jaw work (1).JPG 4 Jaw work (2).JPG 4 Jaw work (3).JPG 4 Jaw work (4).JPG 4 jaw work (5).JPG 4 jaw work (6).JPG 4 jaw work (7).JPG

Bill,

I thought of that too but looking at his pictures it doesn't seem like he has a whole lot of "extra" space to the jaws. Adding the thickness of a board would make it almost impossible to hold that way. Is there an alternate way to hold a piece like that?

For future reference :eek:

Thanks,

-Ron

Thanks Bill I will try that in the future but it would not have worked for me this time as I had clearance issues with the saddle and the part colliding if I got any closer.

I faced it off on the lathe as I didn't have a way to hold it down on the mill.

DSC00291.JPG DSC00294.JPG part.JPG

What about the remove chuck and use a standard face plate with double sided tap to hold the item in place trick. I have seen some extremely well adhered parts that required solvent to break down the adhesive to release the part. That would also give you just a bit more room so you could extend the tool a bit and not wory about a crash so much. Might help next time...
Bob

I see now Charley you were pretty much at max opening with the chuck. Ron the only alternativbe I can think of at the moment is to use the backing board method and clamp it to a faceplate to bore it.

"Billy G" :biggrin:

Thanks Bill. That sounds like a good solution.

-Ron

Back