Move a milling machine

I’ve moved some really heavy stuff up homemade ramps too. One trick I do just for safe is place small jack stands under the middle of the ramps. Just gives a little extra.... just in case. I’ve even used wooded 4 x4 cribs under the ramps in a pinch. I just don’t want to have a ramp crack up in the middle with a 1000 pound machine on them .

I’ve moved some really heavy stuff up homemade ramps too. One trick I do just for safe is place small jack stands under the middle of the ramps. Just gives a little extra.... just in case. I’ve even used wooded 4 x4 cribs under the ramps in a pinch. I just don’t want to have a ramp crack up in the middle with a 1000 pound machine on them .
I was thinking of making 2 stands using large screws because the car stands doesn't have fine height adjustment .

I happen to have a lift, so I used that for mid section support.

I may try a pair of truck stands next time for the heavier lathe. So far, 2 mills and one lathe no problem.

Stands with screw adjustment are/were standard equipment for travel trailers.

The ramp's heaviest load so far, more than 3000 lbs.

For this one, I put 6 ton jack stands underneath at the mid section.

20200927_235349.jpg

Last edited:
I would have be afraid that any corner I took would twist off the bed!
I was worried about that also. I drove very slow around corners. The lathe is strapped down to anchors that are bolted to the lift and then welded down to the frame below.

When I purchased the lathe, that truck I used only has sheet metal anchors that I installed and it was nerve wrecked driving it home. I added large backing washers but that was still the bed itself.

Back