Moving a harig 612

Sblack

Registered
Registered
I just bought a harig 612 manual surface grinder via on line action. It is a couple hrs drive away. Are there any special precautions I should take when moving it? I know some surface grinders have ball bearing slides and a trip down the road will damage the balls unless the slides are immobilized. I don’t know if the harig is one of those. Any advice appreciated.

I am not familiar with the Harig 612. However, with many or most surface grinders the table simply lifts right off. If so, take it off and store it separately during the move. A good bump during transit and the table may fly right off of the machine, possibly causing major damage or loss. Those who know the Harig will probably be posting what is best for that model of surface grinder. The other issue is the possibility of the table bouncing up and down on uneven roads, which might also cause damage even if it does not fall off the machine. If reasonably possible, take it off, if not, strap it down...

Mine has a cable to drive the x axis. You'll have to remove the cable to get the table off but yes tables should be removed before transport.
Harigs are easy to move. Video showing a Harig being moved.

Hello,
I have moved harig 612's in the past. What I've done is take a short 2x4 or somethine similar and lower the vertical wheel and pinch the wood between the chuck and spindle. this prevents the table from moving and it holds the table down. Also, be careful that the grinder itself is bolted to the base cabinet.
Good luck,
Dave

Great suggestions guys thank you. I found a manual on line which was full of great information as well

Mine has a cable to drive the x axis. You'll have to remove the cable to get the table off but yes tables should be removed before transport.
Harigs are easy to move. Video showing a Harig being moved.
A decent video, but man it makes me cringe when people rig a load with a single sling draped over the hook like that. If that thing rolled, no amount of straps around the column of the grinder would have stopped it. Always rig with at least two slings. An eye on the hook, and an eye on each load anchor. Sure this wasn't a heavy load, but just a bad habit/practice.

When I bought (and sold) my Parker Majestic 6x18 grinder I called Parker and they told me to lower the spindle onto a 4x4 block placed on the mag chuck. Worked great for two trips of 20+ kms each way.

When Tom (NCjeeper) bought my 612 we separated it from the base and used a block on the chuck to prevent damage enroute. Putting the block on the chuck allows the weight to be as close to center, and the lifting points, as is possible unlike the video above. Seemed to work fine........

Back