Mutant Monster Bench Vise Of Doom

Nothing beats real steel but real steel. I bought my cast 10" vice for $40. Like new. I wont beat on mine to hard being imported from unknown.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

WOW thank you all for the kind words! I will try to answer all the questions in order.
That is good, It it an optical illusion or is that thing truly the size of your grinder.
I am pretty sure it is an illusion actually as the vise was closer to the camera than the grinder. But not much of one since the grinder is not that big.

Great build,
What are the details on the all thread?
The threaded rod was originally part of the extraction system on an old HPM 350 ton injection molding press. It was basically secured to the main hydraulic cylinder housing and threaded out to the proper distance to contact what was called the 'butterfly' positioned in a slot in the main hydraulic ram as a positive stop.

The ram would move toward the cylinder housing and be stopped by the threaded rod contacting the butterfly which would then stop while the ram continued back. Rods in front of the butterfly and in holes in the moving platen would then contact the stripper plate in the tool thus pushing the ejector pins out and forcing the plastic part loose from the tool. You can imagine the forces at work and as strong as the threaded rods are if the limit switches were not set correctly or went bad the rod would be pounded very hard.

I was able to keep the threaded rod once we upgraded the press to hydraulic ejection. Much easier on the whole machine and gave us multiple ejecting capabilities to boot.
Thanks again for all the kind words folks, I really appreciate it.
-Spike

Really nice job, made better then most sold. And it's a good use of scrap . Keep it up.

So you're going to use it in watch repair.

BTW, great job.

If by watch repair you mean maybe to squish the occasional watch then who knows, it may happen :D. It did some serious damage to an old ford small block valve cover.
Vise (172).JPG Vise (174).JPG
Thanks for the replies!
-Spike

Back