My AXA Tool Blocks From CDCO

I opened up 5 of the CDCO AXA tool blocks for a friend, this morning, from 1/2” (actually .5342”) to hold a 5/8” tool.

1 - the finished blocks
2 - the test piece of 5/8” keystock

29178793-4E4A-4683-B5EC-DB34A664FEC8.jpeg617DF55B-45AB-4EB1-916D-0B56A5BE6349.jpeg

I just ordered 5 more CXA holders from CDCO. I have some Aloris, Phase 2, no names and some CDCO. Frankly I do not see any systematic difference, other than the easily fixed soft screws. I have an Aloris toolpost, that might be the more critical component, though I had Phase 2 AXA posts, both piston and wedge, also did not see any meaningful differences in repeatability or rigidity.

I just received my last order from CDCO, I bought another dozen blocks, this dozen after the dozen (this group is work related), I got at the beginning of June. Frank seems to have found a different supplier (Or using numerous suppliers), they are packed differently, the part number is no longer imprinted in the blocks, its now silk screened, sizing is a bit different, about an 1/16” to 1/8” longer and the set screws are different (I’m still replacing them). Everything seems straight and square, they fit the Dorian tool post perfectly and were packed in a sealed zip-lock style bag, with copious amounts of stinky light machine oil.

Last edited:
Interesting that the last 5 CXA tool holders from CDCO can hold a 1" shank tool, though the Shars, Aloris and Banggood acquired CXA holders will not go that big. The centerline of the CDCO tool slot is at the same height, but it's both lower and higher than the other holders.

For me, this is a pretty good feature.

I opened up 5 more of the CDCO AXA blocks to take 5/8” tools and, immediately 3 of them went out the door. I have 2 of the CNMG lathe tools (one right, one left), with 5/8” shanks, on order from a supplier, that are to be delivered, hopefully this week. All said and done, I still have 2 of the empty blocks, that are unaltered for my stock, not sure if, except for customer blocks, if I’m going to actually need to order anymore.

Late last week I ordered a dozen of the #250-101 tool blocks from Frank at CDCO. I got a email that 7 where shipped out on 5/25/20 and the balance was shipped out on 5/26/20. The first batch arrived today, after a little clean up (they were very oily in sealed plastic bags) and my usual change out of the set screws, I use a 8 mm x 1.25 mm x 20 mm square head, full dog point set screw, were now ready for the load up of the tooling that arrived from Glanze Tools, out of India (32.5x CCMT).

Over the years, I bought for me and work, somewhere between 350 and 400 blocks from CDCO, with never an issue, they all fit, were machine square and have worked as intended. Many of them opened up to take either 5/8” or 3/4” tool shanks.

View attachment 325776

It's interesting that you mention purchasing from CDCO for a professional shop. Although it was some time back, and possibly before the advent of CDCO, I worked in a shop with 16 other machinists. I don't think there were 300 quick change tool holders between the 17 of us. Each of the 6 lathes had around a dozen or so, and there were probably another dozen on the shelves in the store room.

As for purchasing from a discounter, or discount brands, it was strictly prohibited. The rule was to purchase only Aloris tool posts and holders, and only name brand tooling such as Niagara, Morse, Accupro, Kennametal, and other widely known brands. The thought was to provide the best tools and tooling available to eliminate excuses for poor quality parts. If the raw materials, tools and tooling were high quality the only remaining variable was the skill of the person completing the job.

It also instilled in the machinists the pride that they and their skills were respected enough that the company would provide and entrust them with top quality tools and tooling without the fear that these items would be lost, stolen, or damaged. I must say the relationship worked. Most of the machinists worked their entire careers at the company. It was not uncommon for the senior people to have 35 to 40 years in the shop. Some were even asked to return after retirement for special jobs. I seriously wonder if there are many, or any similar relationships in the industry today.

I have a customer that have hundreds of the blocks, they use them to hold sensors, limit switches, slitting knives, cameras and other equipment, on speciality paper making equipment (fancy embossed wrapping paper). They don’t use them on a lathe or a tool post, they use them on sliding tracks, on the equipment. I do them for them, because I’m a hell of a lot cheaper and quicker, than done in-house, besides they are swamped with the actual paper related machinery repairs.

i done quite a few for other home shop people, that have either no milling machine or real small ones (might not up to the task) and a few others that are more than will to pay someone else to do them.

DZ, what is it you dont like about the new shars holders? I've recently ordered a handful of the BXA 3/4" holders and was pleased. Didnt even need to replace the screws as they seem to be better quality than the ones that came with my toolpost "set".

Nothing really, I don't think I said I disliked them, if I did I didn't mean to. I have no experience with the newer Shars holders so I can't comment on them. They do have 2 styles now, one that uses the smaller set screws. I just prefer not to buy that style, not that perform any different, just a personal preference. I do have a few holders with the smaller set screws that came with my lathe. I think I've only ever used one of them.

Back