My Buffalo Forge #15 Drill Press Restoration

Hi Papa Charlie - that is in fact the correct orientation of the motor plate. The Buffalo 15 manual shows the same configuration, and the belt aligns perfectly straight with the drive pulley on the drill. I am thinking however that the motor is not the original. What I have is a 1/2 HP Walker-Turner Driver Line motor. From what I've read so far, I've gathered that WT motors were only available on WT equipment. Someone likely swapped this motor in at some point, but it's interesting that they appear to be the same vintage.

I saw how far out on the motor shaft that pulley was sitting and it appeared from the pictures that it might line up better with the plate reversed. But then it would also put more pressure on the plate that way.

Sounds like someone had salvaged a motor for a backup at some point and the drill press was its recipient. I have done that myself. When we moved I think I had collected 4 or 5 motors of different size and configs form various sources with the idea "you never know". Hate to pass these up as it has helped me and others when a motor goes bad and I saw no reason for the scrap man to get them.

I have been working on removing the rust from my lathe that I am restoring. I used WD-40 with 3M pads, which worked very well. The WD softened the surface rust up and made removal much easier.

That should be a real nice unit when you get it done.

Paint removal - tried the wire wheel on my bench grinder and it wouldn't even scar the green. So I resorted to more drastic measures. A couple cans of aerosol paint remover from the auto parts store, and now I'm getting somewhere!
20200617_135518.jpg20200617_153958.jpg

Oh this is fun.....
Beautiful old machine tool

Back