My first machining of anything in my life !! 1 cyl. wobbler air motor

Ridetoeat

Registered
Registered
I was in the injection molding business for all of my career and as such I bought a 1000 + injection molds from precision tool making shops around our area so I was always around it but never did it. So at 52 when I retired, one of the things I wanted to do was add a Bridgeport mill to my home shop that already had a 12x36 lathe that i knew little about how to run properly. I decided a small project would get me the hands on that I learned best from so I built this little air powered wobbler as literal first chips on a mill project 3 years ago. Did learn a bit but a lot more reading about and finding solutions to all the problems I recognized doing it. It is not perfect for sure but runs smooth, fast and slow at 6 psi. Just to experience them all, I done an aluminum piston and rod combo, copper cylinder, cast iron flywheel, stainless shaft and head. It is a metallurgical nightmare for practical engine design but it is fine now sitting in the top of my tool box. EDIT: after re-watching the video it reminded me of where i got the infor on dimensions to build it. I was drawing a blank. I love watching Mrpete, Peo Pi, and This Old Tony videos.

Attachments

• airmotor.jpg.jpg
    airmotor.jpg.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 57
Great job! You're off to a good start. Have decided what the next project will be?

If you want to build another air/steam engine you need to meet Elmer Verburg. His book, Elmer's Engines is in the public domain, thanks to Elmer requesting this after his death. I have built 4 of his engines and have learned a lot about machining while enjoying the process.

If you want to build another air/steam engine you need to meet Elmer Verburg. His book, Elmer's Engines is in the public domain, thanks to Elmer requesting this after his death. I have built 4 of his engines and have learned a lot about machining while enjoying the process.

I will look into it, I have liked and enjoyed small model engine shows for a few years now. Anxious for the Ohio show coming up, I think it is Sept 26.

EDIT: I came back to say I looked through his plans and it is a treasure for new comers, Thanks !! Permanently bookmarked. Doug...

Last edited:
Great job! You're off to a good start. Have decided what the next project will be?
Yes, I am going to start of a V8 version before any others. I have learned immensely since I done that and I think I just want a V8 version with better material selections for for the application. After that in the form of a real model, I am not sure. i think a few functional shop items may get the nod first.

I have liked and enjoyed small model engine shows for a few years now. Anxious for the Ohio show coming up, I think it is Sept 26.

Tell me more about the show in Ohio on September 26th.

Roger L

Here is the flyer I found..

Attachments

• Screenshot_29.jpg
    Screenshot_29.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 38
Thank you for the information. I am thinking about going to the show. Has anyone been to that show in previous years? What is it like?

Thanks
Roger L

Back