My first turner's cube

DMS

Active User
Registered
I actually managed it, first time, though I did manage to mangle one face of the inner cube through my impatience. I was grinning like an idiot when I pulled it out of the lathe. The inner cube is about 0.5", outer cube is 0.75". It is displayed nestled in the mouth of a standard 12oz beer bottle (containing my reward for a job well done).

IMG_20120320_203048.jpg

I actually managed it, first time, though I did manage to mangle one face of the inner cube through my impatience. I was grinning like an idiot when I pulled it out of the lathe. The inner cube is about 0.5", outer cube is 0.75". It is displayed nestled in the mouth of a standard 12oz beer bottle (containing my reward for a job well done).

nicely done... I think it deserves at least a 16oz though.

Good job. I'll bet you will be making more of them for christmas . Thanks for sharing,Guess its my turn.

Nice job. Especially once you realize the small size. :drink2:

Jeff

That is very interesting and well done. What is the process for making a turner's cube? It looks like a great project.

Randy

Ther are more detailed descriptions if you check google, but for the simple one I did the gist of the process is to bore a conical hole into each side of the cube until the remainder in the middle is no longer connected.

This was on a manual lathe (7x12 minilathe) in a 4 jaw chuck, though the blank was squared on my milling machine before starting. I used a center drill, followed by a small twist drill. I then removed the bulk of the material with a 1/2" 2 flute end mill held in the tailstock chuck. I used a dial indicator held against the drill chuck to get the depth just right. To bore the hole I used a 1/8" tool ground to a sharp angle (probably 20-25 degrees). There was a bit of chatter. If I do it again I would probably use a 1/4" tool and grind slightly differently.

EDIT

I also found after doing a couple sides with soda can jaw protectors and marring the surface that 1/8x3/4 aluminum angle makes perfect protectors for this size cube.

Very nicely done. especially for a 1st attempt.

Heres your next challenge, a triple cube.
I made 8 of these for stocking stuffers at Christmas, they were tumbled after this and the outside were polished nice and shiney.
The outer cube is 1" square.

Turnerscube11.jpg

Turnerscube11.jpg

Turnerscube11.jpg

Thanks Bill, That ought to work. I have to update my Sketch program to view it.

Randy

Back