My local metal source sold out, bummer

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I didn’t know how spoiled we were.
All Metals is a local success story. We’ve watched them grow and add on over the past twenty years.
They just sold out to, Valley Iron. I guess this is their third or fourth outlet in California.
All Metals would sell us 6’ of a 20’ piece. They didn’t charge to cut it.
Valley Iron will sell me the 20’ piece and charge me to cut it.
The scrap yard was a treasure trove of sheet, angle, square and round tubing. Aluminum, steel and stainless.
This is a real bummer man.

There's always Dave's scrap yard Jeff ! :grin:

It’s always sad when a good local business gets sold to a big Corp and they charge policy. But, you do have to feel happy for the folks who built it up that they get the payout they worked so hard for.

Before you retire you should make an appointment with their general manager and let them know how much everyone in the community appreciated how things were before. Sometimes policies are more flexible than what’s written or quoted over the phone.

If they do fabrication the will still have drops they need to get rid of, and getting them to cut a 20’ stick in half so you can load into your pickup should be a courtesy that’s easy to accommodate.

John

It’s always sad when a good local business gets sold to a big Corp and they charge policy. But, you do have to feel happy for the folks who built it up that they get the payout they worked so hard for.

Before you retire you should make an appointment with their general manager and let them know how much everyone in the community appreciated how things were before. Sometimes policies are more flexible than what’s written or quoted over the phone.

If they do fabrication the will still have drops they need to get rid of, and getting them to cut a 20’ stick in half so you can load into your pickup should be a courtesy that’s easy to accommodate.

John
That’s a good idea, let them know my feelings.
I spoke to a few of the old employees, a lot of new faces, my buddy Bobby Sue, has been there a while, she is not a big fan of the changes and how it affects her local customers.
I understand it from a business efficiently standpoint. They have to stop filling the big order to go source the material, cut off a piece, put it back and resume their work.
They would usually dedicate a saw and two employees to fill the small locals orders.
They always had a smile on their face and went out of their way to help load.
You walk out with your order from the desk and they are already working on it.
Last week, I called in the day before, showed up and waited thirty minutes for the single counter clerk to greet me and give me my pick sheet.
Not happy.

My local metal supply charges for cuts, but I found out I live close enough that they will deliver for free, so if it is worth buying 20 feet I can have them deliver and then cut it myself. Works good for something cheap like tubing, and the more expensive stuff paying a $4 cut fee is worthwhile.

Back