My new Starrett 132-12 level

MikeInOr

Registered
Registered
I have been wanting to buy a machinists level to level my Southbend 13" lathe for quite a while. Yesterday I found this Starrett level hidden in the back of a drawer in my tool chest. The last time I saw it was probably about 45 years ago when my father showed it to me and tried to explain the difference between it and a regular level. I KNEW HE HAD ONE SOMEWHERE! About 10 years ago he gave me pretty much all of his tools before he passed from Leukemia. I am glad I didn't go out and buy one.

20220406_105139_HDR (Large).jpg

20220406_105124 (Large).jpg

The level was "hidden" right next to an adjustable brace bit in a box of an identical maroon color and similar size. I have opened the brace bit box several times but never thought to open the maroon box the level was in. I have looked for this level many times at my mothers house and have never been able to find it.
20220406_105112_HDR (Large).jpg
To me this level is MUCH better than any level I could ever purchase! I am guessing this should be accurate enough for leveling a lathe?

At 12", that is a beauty! It should give you a reasonable idea of where level is. What I know as a "machinist's" level is somewhat more elaborate in that the vial is adjustable and graduated in 90 seconds of angle or finer. The 12" level will give you a slope, like 1/16" in 12" of run. The machinist's level will make you crazy splitting hairs between seconds of angle. It all depends on what you are trying to do with it. Both are nice to have. Below is the one I would level a lathe with, but would also see the least use between the two.
81+2xdhz37L._SL1500_.jpg

The level shown by Pontiac is accurate to .005" per graduation, good enough for rough leveling of machine tools, but generally not good enough for finish leveling, I think the Starrett model is 198, accurate to .0005" per graduation, that is 10 times as sensitive as the #98. The #98 will get you close enough to use the two collar method of alignment.

And you are right! The 198 is the model I own, very sensitive. Too sensitive! :laughing: It easily shows a 1/8 turn of a jack screw, and is never satisfied.

And you are right! The 198 is the model I own, very sensitive. Too sensitive! :laughing: It easily shows a 1/8 turn of a jack screw, and is never satisfied.
Yes, they are sensitive, lots of waiting for the bubble to stabilize; I have and use a similar level made by Pratt & Whitney. I used a #198 to level a Giddings & Lewis 350T boring mill where I worked during / after my apprenticeship, a very stout machine with 5" diameter spindle and about 10 ft of table travel, it was surprising how little adjustment of the leveling screws could move those massive castings around as evidenced by the level.

Right now my SouthBend is leveled with a carpenters level, the Starrett should be a big improvement if not perfect.

I DO appreciate knowing the difference though! I found several 132's on sale but didn't dig enough to find what kind of accuracy they have.

The unfortunate truth is that, for most of us, a level of sufficient precision to be used for levelling a lathe will get used so infrequently that it hardly justifies the expense. I was fortunate that after levelling my Heavy 10 with a dollar store plastic level, it cut within .0003" over 14". I probably couldn't even find the bubble on a 198, but the lathe cuts true (enough), and that's the object.

This forum could use a "pass-around" precision level.

Back