My Treasure of the day

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
;)I came across an ad in Craigslist today for a Dayton 1/2 hp motor for $50. When I saw the picture, I knew I had to have it. The guy didn't know much about it and I wonder what it was used for. Why that motor has a Jacobs chuck on it is a real mystery, but its probably worth the price of the motor. Now I have to figure out what I am going to use the motor for :eek:
What it is is a Dayton Model 5K994 variable speed motor with a speed range from 705 to 4230 rpm. It is a Reaves drive set up that is in good working order.
At the moment I have the tinkerer's version of writer's block. Almost all my current machines have some form of variable speed control. I may have to buy something to put it on ;)

Randy

IMG_20190325_160345.jpg

IMG_20190325_160330.jpg

IMG_20190325_160058.jpg

Last edited:
Wish I had it on my wood lathe.
Nice find.

It may have been fed or positioned at a slide for a production cell, or same operation manually. Most anything like this intones a fixture was built to perform a task without tying up a machine. Reeves drive units are ubiquitous speed controls used in many, many applications.

I'll bet it was used in a production shop as a de-burring machine, chuck up a countersink and clean up the holes.
;)I came across an ad in Craigslist today for a Dayton 1/2 hp motor for $50. When I saw the picture, I knew I had to have it. The guy didn't know much about it and I wonder what it was used for. Why that motor has a Jacobs chuck on it is a real mystery, but its probably worth the price of the motor. Now I have to figure out what I am going to use the motor for :eek:
What it is is a Dayton Model 5K994 variable speed motor with a speed range from 705 to 4230 rpm. It is a Reaves drive set up that is in good working order.
At the moment I have the tinkerer's version of writer's block. Almost all my current machines have some form of variable speed control. I may have to buy something to put it on ;)

Randy

Either that or some jackleg used the chuck to couple it to another shaft :eek:
I am having one hell of a time getting that Chuck off.
Randy

Back