My winter project

L

Loggerhogger

Forum Guest
Register Today
here is a Greeves Klusman lathe that I have been working on. I think it was made either in 1905 or 06. Seen a hard life, but I hope to have the old girl making chips soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great restoration... you'll have to eat an extra can of spinach when you change the chuck on that bad boy... Terrific job

Dave
San diego

Now to tackle the counter shaft bearings. while one of them isn't in too bad a shape, the other was obviously run with out oil, and is badly worn. (shaft ate clear into the celler.) i think I can save it, but I'm going to have to get a little creative. I know that the smart thing to do would be to get a couple of ball ype pillow block bearings and be done with it, but where is the fun in that?

Woww

Holy smokes I though me an John Nodder were the only ones in the world with one. I got a
million questions. First I cannot find where there is a serial no. Looks like some kind of quick
change gear box, mine doesnt now I think mine is older. Been searching for years on anything
about these, Tonys got the history on the co. buts thats all I can find. Had this for atleast 25ys,
got all the change gears very exsensive live centers, only thing missing was the thread dial
gear, I made one from a brass washer works perfect. got rid of the motor think it was 406vt
3ph. got it off with a backhoe. regular 110vt but dosnt reverse. Other than that it runs perfectly.
My MT tapers a lot on this because of its long travel compound. see if I can get a photo one John
sent me and mine now there are three of us. Oh only plate on it is Providence Machine Co.
Providence RI. sam

10 min center.jpg crossfeed stop.jpg Gear Setb.JPG my G.Kb..JPG

Forgot to ask, that I have wondered for years what are the T slots on the carriage for.? I have mounted
a 1/2" plate there for my Mag. indicator thats the only use I know of. As far as my machine Its a one
owner never used in a machine shop, came from a bowling alley thats been there for ever, and has low mileage. tooling, tool box loaded, a gal of cutting oil =just looking at the gal container its before WW II
all for -0- and case of beer for my buddies ramp truck. Oh since that photo its been cleaned and
painted up again. sam

Sam, You will find the serial number stamped on the flat part of the ways all the way down at the tailstock end of the bed. I had to do some cleaning with a scotch bright pad before I could see it. Mine has definately had a hard life. besids the damage to the counter shaft bearing, a chunk of the compound is missing from being run into the chuck. the gear that drives the carrage was also completly trashed, so I had to pull the apron, and make a new gear. My first try at gear cutting, and i think it turned out pretty good. i did the job on a 7" lewis shaper.

also, Sam, the T slots in the carrage can be used for a lot of different things. (Limited to your own imagination) but one thing that does come to mind is that you can mount a boring bar in between the centers, and mount a large cylinder onto the carrage to be bored.

Mine also has a brass plate on the headstock reading "Hallide Machinery Co. Seattle Wa."

excellent gear job so the serial is stamped like a south bend on the ways Ill do a closer look
thanks

Back