My Workshop

Thanks for all the replies. I like to stay organized, but lately I haven't been working on too many projects.

I prefer the open space in case I need to pull my truck in for work, and in the spring/fall I bring the snowmobiles in to work on them. The space looks big in the pictures, but it's only an 18' x 20' space.

Thanks for all the replies. I like to stay organized, but lately I haven't been working on too many projects.

I prefer the open space in case I need to pull my truck in for work, and in the spring/fall I bring the snowmobiles in to work on them. The space looks big in the pictures, but it's only an 18' x 20' space.
I say, find a space and fill it! As long as I do not trip over things and have to turn sideways to squeeze through between things, life is good; when I sold my machine shop business of 35 years to retire, my buyer said he did not want to buy certain machines, I had either to leave them there, unpaid, and be junked, likely, I brought most of them home, including a 19" Regal Leblond lathe, a 20-24 Gould & Eberhardt universal shaper, a Pratt & Whitney vertical shaper, automatic gear cutter, #1 Norton cutter grinder, #2 Brown & Sharpe universal mill, in addition to the 6X6 Peerless hacksaw, #2 B&S surface grinder, 21" upright drill, delta sensitive drill, Fray vertical mill, and oh, so much more! Also have woodworking and blacksmith shops; probably more floor space than the residence.

Nice workshop Machinehead:
May i ask what tool is on top of the tall cabinet? (picture) Thanx.
HM forum grab.JPG

Nice workshop Machinehead:
May i ask what tool is on top of the tall cabinet? (picture) Thanx.
View attachment 125231

That is a Fields Router Bit grinder that I picked up a while back and restored. It's an old machine and says Fields Router bit grinder on the front, and the motor on the back that powers it is labeled Dumore Tool Post grinder. Maybe it was retrofitted at some point? It came with a nice diamond wheel on it. I'd like to try and set it up for grinding lathe bits.

I agree with benmychree. Google seems to be lacking. (picture)

Field Router Bit Grinder.jpg

I did not know that router bits were sharpened with a diamond wheel.

That's the same one I have. I'll be sure to get some more pictures of mine up later on today.

That's the same one I have. I'll be sure to get some more pictures of mine up later on today.
Router bits that are carbide tipped would be sharpened with diamond, but not HSS bits, which can be sharpened with either conventional grinding wheels or CBN (cubic boron nitride). The carbon in
HSS reacts with the carbon of the diamond, causing undue wear to the diamond wheel.
Interesting machine, by the way!

Some more pictures of the router bit grinder. I didn't do the best job I could on the rebuild, was kind of rushed because there were other things to get to but I will hang on to this machine for a while until I can find a good use for it.

20jmwkg.jpg
2rrmh44.jpg
uym37.jpg

20jmwkg.jpg

2rrmh44.jpg

uym37.jpg

20jmwkg.jpg

2rrmh44.jpg

uym37.jpg

20jmwkg.jpg

2rrmh44.jpg

uym37.jpg