Mystery Machinist Level

ChandlerJPerry

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have an oddity here today gents, a 6" machinist level I picked up for $50 + shipping on fleabay. The brand is marked as Bedortha Bros in Windsor, Connecticut. Anyone know more about the brand? All I could find is that they were a manufacturer based out of CT that manufactured cigar cutters and rollers, as well as levels. However I could only find reference to wood levels, and in general it sounds like a small family operation, not the type of large scale firm that would endeavor to make precision measuring equipment. They closed up shop in the mid 60's, which means this tool is of considerable age, its condition certainly doesn't show it. In any case it looks like a dead ringer for a Starrett 98, and is quite sensitive: a .0015" feeler gauge inserted under one end moves the bubble roughly half a graduation.

I'm just curious if this is an example of a rebranded Starrett, or maybe even an in house copy made by Bedortha Bros? Regardless it looks to be a finely crafted tool that should serve me well!

Attachments

• IMG_20200903_232135.jpg
    IMG_20200903_232135.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20200903_232144.jpg
    IMG_20200903_232144.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200903_232222.jpg
    IMG_20200903_232222.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
That is not a re-branded Starrett tool. One look at the quality of the knurling and you can tell. However, they probably used Starrett vials and if it is well made then it will probably be just as accurate as a 98-6.

Very interesting and one I've not come across. That Starrett, Pratt & Whitney, Stanley, Bedortha, et al, should all be manufacturing precision levels within a hundred miles of each other reminds us of when that was the epicenter of US precision machining.

jack vines

Very interesting and one I've not come across. That Starrett, Pratt & Whitney, Stanley, Bedortha, et al, should all be manufacturing precision levels within a hundred miles of each other reminds us of when that was the epicenter of US precision machining.

jack vines
When anybody has time, this is a great book to read, Then you will have a good understanding on why manufacturing of like machines have clustered near each other. Also has several famous names,

Caution, I was hooked, and had to finish it the same night I started it.

Back