Mystery rifle a guy brought me.

Sorry,I have gotten this thread entirely off track,over what hand filing SHOULD consist of. But,I'm not an Arab sitting in a dirt floor cave,holding my work between my toes,and that is just about what the truth was in the late 19th. /early 20th. C.. And,don't forget,stealing British railroad rails for the only steel they could get. It is remarkable what they did accomplish,truly,in those conditions. The gun would have been better off before that "Merkican guy with the NICE stamp set ( WITH SERIFS) got hold of it. I wonder if he got his skill out of a bottle? What's a serif? Those little bitty lines across the ends of letters.:) They make ALL the difference.

I used to buy my stamps from Hansen Co. Years ago,I could actually SPEAK to the guy in the shop. Then,later,I got this stubborn woman who wanted to take my order,and would NOT let me speak to anyone else. When she asked "What's a serif?",I gave up on Hansen. I use Buckeye Engraving now for name stamps(which I did not have when these guns were made). You CAN speak to the owner/maker. He can make you stamps from any font you can draw up on your computer. Good folks to deal with.

This was a fine example of a company trying to upgrade its customer service. To heck with Hansen.(Hanson?)

On the OP rifle, my first thought was "Homemade workshop rifle" due to the rough machining. I don't think it is a 'major manufacturer' built rifle.

At the risk of driving this thread even further off track, I saw something interesting last night. Still working off my original theory on this gun's origin, I was Googling Darra guns and a fellow had posted up some pictures of a one of a kind firearm he dubbed the "A**krakinov". It came from Darra and was captured by a Special Forces team in Afghanistan. It has an AK47 barrel and hand guards, an AK-ish pistol grip, an AK folding stock, and feeds 7.62 by 39 ammo from a standard AK detachable magazine. But it feeds them through a Mauser style bolt action. The maker "engraved" the receiver bridge with an American style spread-winged eagle surrounded by a frame of circles or O's and below the eagle, the word "CHINA". Because to quote the original poster, "everyone knows that China is known throughout the world as the finest firearms makers in history".:)) It's probably not OK to post a link to another website, so if you want to see the pictures, you can Google "A**krakinov" (replace the asterisks with S's).

That rifle sure makes everybody else's work look bad!!:):):)

Wow guys. Yall have had some very amazing insight into this thing. I am going to agree with yall that the rifle is an apprentice made one off gun, and not made by any major manufacturer. There are a lot of hand filed parts on this, such as the bolt release and trigger parts. A gentleman on another site identified the rear sight itself as being from a Krag-Jorgenson originally, but so far thats the only piece thats been definitively identified.

George, you are a true craftsman of the old world. I think most of us here, myself especially, would be lucky to posses 10% of your talent.

I'm inclined to think it might be from Turkey, but that is speculation on my part.............

Back