Narcissus, aka the Common Grackle.

Is that the one with the orange bouffant head feathers. Mike

We've got this stupid grackle who has fallen in love with his own reflection, much like the Greek god Narcissus.

Is that the one with the orange bouffant head feathers. Mike

I don't remember seeing a grackle up here before. This guy has been here two years in a row now.

We've also got purple finches (3 pairs), gold finches (7 pairs), Bluejays (5 to 6 a-holes), and even one Baltimore Oriole, and all the oddities that float around here too. Misc sparrows, chikadees, blue birds (not at the feeder), and near saturation with turdus migratorius ($hit-on-the-run, aka american robin).

It's the busy season for these guys getting busy, so expect some stupid behavior for a while. Eventually many will be vying for my cherries, berries, and apples!

Last edited:
I had that problem with a bluebird a couple of years ago. It would incessantly fly into the living room window. If either the dog or I came to the window, it would fly off, only to return a few minutes later. This behavior continued for several months. I expected a return the next year but it never materialized. Maybe the fool bird broke its neck on some other window.

Also, I have seen a cardinal who repeatedly attacked its reflection on side view mirror over the course of several weeks.

He won't damage the glass. A few of those "magnetic" decals will probably do the trick, so would a bright light from inside (which will keep him from seeing his reflection). Of course that might just chase him to another window...

I rather enjoy watching our grackle, but don't have the same problem as you. Well, I do, but it's with Gila Woodpeckers...

GsT
He definitely CAN damage the glass. We had a robin damage a dual pane window by continually pecking at his reflection. It took about a week of pecking in the same spot. He finally broke through the outer pane leaving a cone shaped chip between the panes.

The best way to deal with it is to put something in front of or behind the window that eliminates the reflection. Bird specialty stores sell "anti-collision" decals to deal with the problem. We had to put them on several windows at the family cottage to prevent birds from pecking on them and flying into them. I'm not sure exactly what they're made of, but they're usually only good for about 6 months. After that they fade and don't work.

I don't think I would put up with much of that. I'm not a fan of shooting birds, but sometimes you have that ONE bird that continues past one's patience level.

Years ago, I had an aluminum topper sitting on our property. For some reason, a woodpecker decided that he would start his day at 5am by beating on the topper shell. I'm pretty sure the whole neighborhood could hear him. I finally decided that this pecker head needed to be eliminated from the gene pool since he appeared to be brain-damaged anyhow.

During mating season woodpeckers will peck on anything - the louder the better seems to be the case. I get them banging on my windows, the tin vent covers, and steel power poles on a regular basis.

GsT

Back