need a new mill

The charter oak machine is not a rf45.

Charter Oak... aka Industrial Hobbies... is indeed an RF45 clone. IH started life using the ZAY7045 (a Rong Fu 45 clone), using the same machine that Bob Bertrand from Lathemaster imported back in 2005... they actually started out with Bob supplying them machines, and then went factory direct. IIRC.

They worked with the manufacturer on modifications over the years, adding a larger table and beefed-up back-column-swivel collar and larger column dovetail. But yes, it evolved from an RF-45 clone in the beginning.

If you haven't been there yet, than I recommend you jump over to cnczone, and read recent posts in the Charter Oak/IH forum. Somebody there just purchase one of the manual machines.

...I`m pretty shure I want a Industrial Hobby clone any one know of suppliers other than Charter Oak
And to answer your original question: if you want a square column mill (ie. RF45 clone in the common vernacular) with the table size and XYZ movement of the IH machine, than you will have to buy it from IH. Nobody else in North America imports this machine.

As I said above, Machine Tool Warehouse in Ontario used to import them (as late as Fall of last year), but shipping and fees made buying from them about $500 more than buying from IH if you lived in the US. Regardless, MTW doesn't market this mill anymore (and indeed seems not to market any machine), so you are much better off going to Charter Oak.

Don't get too excited by this link, as this is an orphan page that isn't actually linked to by MTW home page, but you can see they used to sell this machine:

https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.com/xcart/catalog/MD001-IH-Clone-p-16133.html

Last edited:
Pm932 travels x22" y8" z5" head 17" , Charter oak x26" y12" z4.75 head 22" plus heavier colum and base. Price range under 2500 plus ship. The charter oak machine is not a rf45.

How much space do you have as good used industrial mills are a dime a dozen here in Florida. I could have bought 20 nice used full size mills in the last 6 months for $2500 or less each but its been 4 decent lathes listed for $5000 or less in that time (this area is a death zone for good used lathes)

How much space do you have as good used industrial mills are a dime a dozen here in Florida. I could have bought 20 nice used full size mills in the last 6 months for $2500 or less each but its been 4 decent lathes listed for $5000 or less in that time (this area is a death zone for good used lathes)

Boy, how would that be? I live in a machinery desert here and what little used equipment there is, is freakin' huge and worn out.

Mike.

Boy, how would that be? I live in a machinery desert here and what little used equipment there is, is freakin' huge and worn out.

Mike.

Mike here is the classic local example, its a bit over the OP budget at $3K though :whistle:

00e0e_kV1oT5qMhvY_600x450.jpg

I have a very nice, and well maintained Acra Mill milling machine. Recently cleaned and inspected. Hi-lo settings, and lots of tooling included. Serial no 502562, 2hp motor, Heidenhain digital readout, power feed on x axis, Pyh vice, Delivery and rigging available, Also can load to your truck with forklift for no extra charge.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/tls/4537209503.html

00e0e_kV1oT5qMhvY_600x450.jpg

Tmarks that's the info I was looking for, charter oak is the only place to buy the IH size mill thank you.

Zmotorsports I just moved from southern New Mexico, I know how you feel you should see all the machinery sitting outside at a af base near white sands that they won't sell local.

nick I will check out that machine in the next few days, there is a Cincinnati in largo also but haven't been able to id what type of tooling it uses.

thanks all

IMHO I would stay away from the Cincinnati unless you go there to test it yourself and tram it all out to see how much wear it has. Too many local machine suppliers want to paint a pile of junk. Not from the same place but my buddy recently bought a beautiful massive Gorton with a primo paint job and the spindle motor doesn't even work...................

There are 12 proprietary Cincy Monoset Collets on the table. They are worth $25-$50 each used. $250 each to get hardinge reproductions. Did you see the DRO? That's if you want DRO. Note the power down feed problem.

Daryl
MN

... bought a beautiful massive Gorton with a primo paint job and the spindle motor doesn't even work...................
Shiny paint job generally means run away, in my book. Unless you are buying straight from a reputable machine rebuilder.

I like zooming in on the ebay adds for this type of equipment, and noting the poor masking job around the label plates, painted over bolts, etc. $5 for a can of rustolium is not "owner refurbished", regardless of what they claim.

Back to the OP/OT:

Bill-

what kind of knee mill do you have, and why do you want to make the job to a bench top?

OK, here is the killer deal.

Enco has their RF45 clone on sale for Aug for $2195 (no surprise) but with free shipping ($400 savings there).

They are running a 30% sale (no exclusions), coupon code: 84THR (this coupon says it expires on 8/4 at 11:00 pm, but like many enco sales works for an extra day after that).

Grand total:$1536.50.

That is like what the machines sold for in 2006.

Back