Need advice on drum switch mounting!!!

pjf134

Active User
Registered
My SB9A drum switch mounts on top of the left side of headstock (original), but since the cast bracket is broke I would like to move it maybe. I like to mount it so it won't get nocked to reverse or mount a stop on it. Any ideas for mounting? Since my lathe is tore apart right now, and I am watching paint dry, it would be a good time to think about it. Changing location is a very good option.
Paul

Just make sure you can reach it quickly, and without getting in line with things thrashing around coming out of the chuck.

That's my plan, but where would you mount it. Just looking for some options.
Paul

ps: Is that refractory plant still in Tyler?

If you're talking about Vesuvius, yes they're still here in the same location for years, on Duncan. Right next door to Carrier Air Conditioning/United Technologies.

As far as specifics on location, perhaps you could uncover a few pictures on the 'net where people have located theirs. I don't own one myself, and it's been a long time since I've run one back in school in the 70's. I can't remember how they were set up. or I'm sure some of our members have ideas and or examples to show.

As an aside, I'd put an E-stop button arrangement near the tailstock end so I could step back and hit it if something went badly wrong. That in addition to an easily accessible drum switch.

Markball2,
I don't have a full cover on my SB9. In the pic is where it is located when I got it, but the bracket is broke.
Paul

Without a headstock cover, I would hesitate to locate it where mine is located. Your hand might get tangled up in the drive belt.

Although, a simple bracket that spaces the switch above & toward the chuck might be ok. As long as it doesn't extend over the chuck. Maybe a swinging type bracket, with the switch in front of the headstock? With an extension under it to rest the heel of your hand on it?

I generally have my left hand on the switch, heel of hand on the headstock cover, right hand on the carriage wheel or on half nut lever. My hands are out of the way & with the wimpy belt drive 1/2hp motor if it crashes, I can kill the power without killing myself.

Back