Need advise about Edison 6" , Model ED-200 High precision centering vise

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hey guys
i need a good vise and I have found a used Edison 6" , Model ED-200 centering vise I like the concept of centering but I never heard if this brand.
Is it a decent vise? how does it compare to a Kurt ? anyone have one ? the asking price is $ 75.00 it is about 2 hours away and i don't want to waste the trip unless I and sure it will be a decent vise. Right now i have a shop fox from grizzly and it is a pain to secure items without beating the jaws down with a plastic mallet while tightening.... I'd love a Kurt but i can't afford one...not even a used one if i could find it
Thanks....as Always
joe

To keep your work from lifting,try clamping a piece of round stock between the work piece and the MOVING jaw. The round rod will roll upwards instead of your workpiece being lifted.

I hope you are swatting the WORK and not the JAWS,by the way.

You need to beat the WORK with a dead blow hammer. Beating the jaws will only help the work to jump up some. By the way,I am thinking that with a self centering vise,with 2 moving jaws,you will have twice the problem of the work lifting.

Even with my nice Kurt vise,I still have to whack the work down some. Even my Kurt doesn't offer a 100% cure for the work lifting a bit. When I have the work sitting on parallels in the jaws,the moving jaw parallel still becomes loose when I tighten the vise,and I have to smack it down.

Back
Top Bottom