Need Expert Opinion!!

Wheresmywrench?

Active User
Registered
Is the 230v 1phase motor used on the Maximat V10-P really a 3phase motor? I ask because they use a run capacitor on one leg and to and me it looks just like a phase converter setup. So is that what it is? :thinking:

EPSON008.JPG

Given that there is a wire(s) labeled ''Z'' I'm going to say that this is probably not a 3 phase motor. Normally you only find Z labeled wire in a single phase. BUT, I'm not 100% positive. The circuit that you drew, looks like a standard reversing circuit for a single phase. The only 3 phase wiring diagrams I can find, are all numbered or have terminals U, V, W, but no Z

Normally the data tag on the motor will state pretty clearly if it a 1 phase, or a 3 phase.

I see your point, but the run capacitor, which was mistakenly marked run coil, looks like it is a third leg of a 3 phase inverter. There is a suggestion on the Yahoo groups that this is a 3 phase motor. And no mater what position your selector switch is in you always have three live wires going to the motor. Z always has power to it thru the capacitor just like a phase inverter. As it comes off the Hi/Lo speed setting. And the other circuit for forward and reverse acts the same as a tumbler switch as you only need to switch two wires change position to reverse the motor direction on a three phase motor. So it does act like a 3 phase motor.

It's a capacitor-run single phase induction motor, which is actually a two-phase motor with the second phase generated by the capacitor. You reverse it by inverting one of the phases by swapping two wires.

Maybe the small point that everyone is overlooking is the fact that the starting switch interrupts the power in the afore mentioned circuit. Therefore the second coil/winding is only energized for a real short time until the motor reaches about 70-75% full speed. :allgood:

Its been 50 years since I own a V10 but As I remember it was a two speed motor. all the extra switching could be to support two speed operation.

Back