Need Help Concerning Motors

jroma1

Active User
Registered
I have a Harbor Freight (HF) 9 x 20 lathe and for sometime I have tried to fit it for a toolpost (TPG) grinder. I need something that will not only grind parrallel to the lathes axis I want to do angle grinding as well. Example,the 60 degree dead centers on my lathe.

Little Machine Shop (LMS) has two types of what looks like well made tool post grinders my question is can they be adapted to grind on an angle. It would appear the compound rest has to be removed and the TPG would have to be mounted on the cross slide for parrallel grinding only. I can't see mounting either of these on the compound rest
Has anyone out there had experience with this problem or is my thinking wrong?

In the meantime I have worked up a simple design in the hopes of keeping the size and weight to a minium. I purchased two flanged bearings (with set screws) and milled out the bkts for homemade pillow blocks. I have scribed out a base on a piece of allum and a means to secure it to the compound rest. I need a motor. LMS has a motor that is light and what appears right for the job with one exception it is rated at 18,000 RPM,my bearings are rated at 8000 RPM.

From what I'm told this can be controlled with the right pulley ratio,I would like to keep the size of the pulleys to a min.

Can someone suggest a simialr type motor (lower RPM) comments suggestions greatly appreciated

John

I don't know why no one has replied so here goes.

A tool post grinder mounts as it says, in place of the tool post. The compound stays.

Yes pulley ratio would lower your speed on the driven pulley. Say 3 to 1 would be 6000rpm on the spindle from your 18k rpm motor. So 1" on the motor-3" on the spindle.

You are very alert to watch the speeds on your bearings. Same goes for stones so don't over speed them either! Cover everything well to keep the grinding grit off the machine the best you can.

Happy grinding.

Back