Need Help Identifying this Insert

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
This multi insert head came with my machine, it leaves beautiful finish on most metals. However I noticed several of the inserts have some small knicks and this one has a large chunk missing. I need to purchase some more but have no idea what they are or where to get them. There is no markings on the head or inserts. Any ideas?
20140930_164400.jpg20140930_164240.jpg20140930_164303.jpg

20140930_164400.jpg 20140930_164240.jpg 20140930_164303.jpg

Is there a brand name on the head? If so look it up and the insert type should be given.

"Billy G"

www.lovejoytool.com used to stock brazed inserts like that. They are no longer listed on their site. You might give them a shout and find they have some around.

"Billy G"

Have those re-tipped and reground. Most tool companies that deal with carbide could do that. An alternative would be to buy brazed lathe tools, cut to length and drill for the hold down bolt.

Could try to use it with the three best cutters only, might work well for you and get more life out of it.

Be ready to make a sensible decision on moving on to another tool for less cost than finding new inserts or even having your inserts reground. There are reasons to work with an old familiar tool and get it functioning better but the more logical decision money wise very likely would be to get a whole new cutter with new inserts. Check out the options.

Consider selling the used tool clearly stating it comes with worn inserts to the buyer.

I looked through lovejoy.com and found their legacy collection but they didnt have any like this. Searched through several online places and google images but didnt find any that was a match either.

get a green wheel and hand grind them, and reset them with a depth Gage back in the holder

Back