Need Help Making a website (yes it is machine related)

Yeah, I got that from the page code but it just produced a heap of google code. Clicking on the link above takes me to google sign in to make a google drive account which I do not want to do.
Its very mysterious.

do you have a google account?, because you need one to view it which is a pain

yes and no but I wont jump through the hoops. No worries.

I thought planers move the workpiece while shapers move the tool? Aren’t the pictures all of planers?

I was not aware of the distinction before, thanks for the clarification.

But I thought that on these "Planers" that the tool is moved from side to side along with the work table moving forward and back. The difference would be that on a "Shaper" the work table moves side to side and the tool would move forward and back.

To me they are doing the same thing.

But I thought that on these "Planers" that the tool is moved from side to side along with the work table moving forward and back. The difference would be that on a "Shaper" the work table moves side to side and the tool would move forward and back.

Yeah, the two devices are VEEERRY similar. Planers tend to be larger devices, though there are also smaller ones. Your "But I thought" line is right on: A shaper has a moving ram, a Planer has a moving table for forward/back. The shaper table moves 'side to side', and the planer head moves side-to-side :)

Interestingly, there are some Rockford Planers that were actually "universal shaper-planer" (http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=20087) which is a touch of a confusing name on top of that.

Think lathe and mill. A lathe spins the work while a tool moves and cuts, on a mill the tool spins and the work is moved around the cutter. Kind of the same thing here. Obviously the difference matters on a lathe and mill. I can't tell you why it matters between a shaper and planer, but assume there is some nuance to the difference.

For sure, both machines require lateral movement of the cutter relative to the workpiece between passes. And in that regard they seem to be opposite (planer moves tool laterally between passes, shaper moves workpiece). But the movement in the cut direction is the distinction I was trying to get at.

It seems like work envelope is a major distinction. Planers are good for large surfaces because they can have large travels?

Very interesting. There is definitely a fine line between the tow machines. I would say much more than between a lathe and a mill, but I guess you could argue that point as well.

Thanks all for sharing this.

There was a time when I use to research the origin of words. Fascinating study, for example the word "Starboard", which is the right side of a vessel (Ship or boat). The term comes from the fact that they use to have the rudder on the side of a ship not midships at the stern. It started as the Stearing Board and morphed into Starboard. Likewise Port is because if you had your steering board on the right side of the ship you did not want to put it against the dock and cause damage, so you would put the other side of the vessel against the dock or port, hence the "Port" side.

Never did find the origin for Captain. There is rumor that there was a chief whose name sounded like Captain from the Pacific Islands, a seafaring people. But no confirmation of the chief name related to the term.

Last edited:
Made a lot of progress added two more pages and worked on every section! now its starting to look like a website.

Back