Need help

tim6575

Registered
Registered
Hello, second time on the site and having an issue hope someone can explain the best path so not to damage my new 5 c collet chuck i got a byson chuck and a backplate from grizzly industrial every thinng has been machined fits on the chuck nice now where things have gone wrong i was test fitting one of the machined bolts and some how can not back the screw out to take the back plate off i have all ready broke one allen wrench any advice what steps to make with out screwing up (pardon the pun) the brand new 600 dollar chuck! help Greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Welcome to HM, Tim.

I would suggest you find a hex socket that fits well and use an impact gun to get that screw out. I use Bondhus hex sockets because they tend to fit better and my Makita cordless 1/4" impact gun and I can get most stuck hex screws out. I have a 3/8" and 1/2" impact gun for larger screws, too. Give it a try.

You might have a 7/16'-14 mixed up with a M12-1.75? It went on, it will come off.
Cheers
Martin

If there is an alignment issue the bolt could be wedged. Remove the other bolts and try an impact driver? Worst case, the bolt could be drilled out without hurting the chuck. Photos? Good luck with it. Be patient and don't do anything to cause more problems.

Don't know if this would help, but you might want to start by looking at the Owner's Manual to see what size and thread bolt the chuck takes. If you have another bolt like the one you installed, you can determine if you used the right one. That would influence how you go about extracting it. Also, how did you install the bolt? Hand wrench? Impact driver? Worst case scenario would be if it's the wrong bolt put on with an impact driver. Identify as many variables as you can before strategizing how to approach it.

Good luck.

Tim: a bit of heat might help unstick the bolt- not too hot though. A bit hotter than is comfortable to touch would be ok
And some liquid wrench or other penetrating oil
You do have the chuck and backplate removed from the spindle, right? Which lathe model ?
-Mark

Last edited:
Sounds like the bolt seized up in the hole, a good reason to use a lubricant while assembling threaded parts; my favorite is white lead in oil, not so easy to find nowadays, but I have several lifetime supplies. You may have to drill the bolt out to be able to disassemble it, and you may have to Heili Coil the messed up tapped hole.

Back