Need Info on Ovalturning Chucks so I can make one.

joe_m

Active User
Registered
I asked this question on a woodturning forum but haven't gotten any answers yet. Since the solution is going to require metalworking skills I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here....

Anyone here ever seen a specialized lathe chuck made for turning ovals? I want to build one (or two). I have found a few pics and discussions online, but nothing simple enough for me. I'm looking for something like "Ovalturning for Dummies" or even better - "Mr. Toad Turns An Oval" (With popup images on each page and tabs you can pull to make the pictures move and real short words in big print at the bottom "See Toad, See Toad Turn. Turn Toad Turn." )

If you have such a chuck or know of a place that has this info then please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Joe

I wish I could wrap my mind around the Math of elliptical turning, so I could make Camshafts and Crank Shafts

I used to think there might be a market for knock-off Holtzapffel machines. Lots if intricacies involved both in the machines, and in their operation. But now, with home-brew CNC becoming so popular, I don't know. I think you could do it the modern way easier, fancier, and cheaper. Still very intriguing, though.

I wonder if there is a market for oval chucks. Shouldn't be too hard to design.

Back