Need parts for a Clausing 8520 mill

boneyard51

Registered
Registered
Well I bought a clausing 8520 mill and a Clausing 12 inch lathe as a package deal. Before I could get there the owner decided to help me by dragging them out side so we could better load them, well the 8520 got tipped over and bend the handle , dial, screw, and housing! So those are the things I need. Has anybody fixed this kind of damage?

Bones

Attachments

• 92784980-B385-4CBA-BE44-02684A9873D5.jpeg
    92784980-B385-4CBA-BE44-02684A9873D5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
  • 9952716C-EBAB-4365-8366-5346B7205AD9.jpeg
    9952716C-EBAB-4365-8366-5346B7205AD9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • 3540FFE5-C780-4658-90EE-16197BDDA315.jpeg
    3540FFE5-C780-4658-90EE-16197BDDA315.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
  • CC8DC569-5D5A-4A19-ACAD-C5639F03FF71.jpeg
    CC8DC569-5D5A-4A19-ACAD-C5639F03FF71.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
Sad. I hope you got at least an additional couple/few/multiple/many hundred$ off the cost for the damage. First see if you can find some used parts anywhere. If not, you may need to make a new lead screw from some Acme threaded stock and a new handle and other parts from steel stock. It looks like the lead screw is too far bent to reasonably straighten it. All the parts would best be bought from a machine being parted out, if you can find one...

Mine was bent when I bought it also. I removed the parts and straightened the lead screw in vee blocks with my hydraulic press. Set up an indicator and worked it down to around .003 runout at the handle. Also straightened the handle. Just go gently, working back and forth. You really have nothing to lose by trying.

I worked on a Bridgeport lead screw that was bent maybe half as much as yours is, that was bent when the mill slid on the metal floor of the trailer that was on a hill. The owner and I used my 20 ton HF press and various blocks to straighten it, slow and fussy work. It is very easy to overshoot on bending the part back. Use a dial indicator when you are pressing, getting the start reading, the farthest pressed reading, and then the reading of what the finish measurements are along the shaft. By doing so for each push, you will get a very good idea of how much it takes to move the metal a given amount. Where you place the support blocks to support the lead screw above the table for each push is critically important, and it will change with every push. Make sure you have a mental (and perhaps written) map of what you are achieving as you progress.

There are some good videos on the subject here:

on straightening shafts from a real pro who straightens propeller shafts for boats regularly. Keith is definitely a real pro, and the tutorials are good.

Does he straighten shafts for mills? How do I get in contact with him?

Bones

Keith is a pro. I have not been following his YouTube channel lately. I know he has had some medical issues, but the only way to know for sure is to ask him. There might be someone in your local area who is skilled at that work, ask around...

Thanks, I went to his site and found his email and sent him an email. I live in NE Oklahoma, services such as that are kinda scarce around here. I would have no problem shipping to a pro. If I can get the shafts straight, I think I can fix the rest.....I hope. Do you know if any parts, such as the dials are interchangeable with any Clausing lathe? Thanks

Bones

Sad. I hope you got at least an additional couple/few/multiple/many hundred$ off the cost for the damage. First see if you can find some used parts anywhere. If not, you may need to make a new lead screw from some Acme threaded stock and a new handle and other parts from steel stock. It looks like the lead screw is too far bent to reasonably straighten it. All the parts would best be bought from a machine being parted out, if you can find one...
Bob, I have a little playing room, as to money. I bought the mill and the lathe, that has the three phase converter and a pick up load of tooling for $500. So I think I can afford to put a little in it.

Bones

Thanks, I went to his site and found his email and sent him an email. I live in NE Oklahoma, services such as that are kinda scarce around here. I would have no problem shipping to a pro. If I can get the shafts straight, I think I can fix the rest.....I hope. Do you know if any parts, such as the dials are interchangeable with any Clausing lathe? Thanks

Bones
Sorry, Bones, I am not that familiar with that mill. I have a Millrite. There may well be others here that will respond to your question. Note that although the bad damage is right by the handle, the bend will probably exist over most of the lead screw, and the whole thing will probably need straightening. If the bend it too badly bent where it comes out of the end cap, it may be smart to work at getting everything straight except the badly bent portion, and then cutting that section off and grafting a new end section onto it.

Hopefully you are able to get the thing apart. Normally the handle and dials have to come off to get at the bearing retainer part, at least on my Rockwell. You might need to sawzall the handle off along with part of the leadscrew. If the rest of it is straight you can maybe rejoin a piece via careful TIG welding an oversize piece and then machining down as required. At some point it might be easier to buy some acme "all thread" and make a new leadscrew shaft.

Back