Need parts for a Clausing 8520 mill

Bones,

In this case unfortunately, the lathes were all Clausing designs but the mill was designed and first built by Johansson. So although the part numbers look like Clausing ones, I would guess that there is little chance of anything off of one of the lathes fitting the mill. As Bob wrote earlier, your best bet is going to be to find someone parting out another mill.

Yeah, I’ve been looking for several years. That part is usually what people are looking for, as this machine seems to be a little top heavy. Plus they are scarce and in high demand. I’ve put feelers out to various places over the years. I aquired a Rong Fu mill the other day, thst has wiring problems, not as good as the Clausing but probably will work for me, if I can figure out the wiring. I about cried when I went to pick it up and the clown tried to pull it out of the garage with a tractor! He took a nice machine and made junk out of it!

Bones

Yeah, I’ve been looking for several years. That part is usually what people are looking for, as this machine seems to be a little top heavy. Plus they are scarce and in high demand. I’ve put feelers out to various places over the years. I aquired a Rong Fu mill the other day, thst has wiring problems, not as good as the Clausing but probably will work for me, if I can figure out the wiring. I about cried when I went to pick it up and the clown tried to pull it out of the garage with a tractor! He took a nice machine and made junk out of it!

Bones
If nothing else, a brand new lead screw can be made from bar stock. The other damaged parts as well. Where there is a need there is a solution, though price may interfere...

Well,I ve got an email in to Kieth, maybe he’ll answer me with a solution. If I can get the shafts straight I think I can deal with the other stuff. I m not past putting a little brass on things, or turning things a little thinner. But trying to straighten that shaft requires a skill I may not possess. You showing me 20 times how to paint the Mona Lisa, doesn’t mean I will be able to do it!

Bones

Clausing is still in business and offers some parts support for out of production machines. I don't know how extensive their parts lists are, but worth a try. My understanding is, if they no longer offer a part, they will provide technical drawings of the part which can help in making a new one.

Clausing parts / service

That has been my experience with Clausing as well. If they still have the part in stock, don't ask for the drawing. If they don't have the part and if it has been flagged as obsolete in their system, they will usually send you a scan of the original drawing.

Their prices on new parts are current today, not what you would find in an old price sheet. Some people who have old machines are living in a dream world I guess. They always seem to have to compare the price of a new part with the bargain basement price they paid for the complete machine. If they had greater than single-digit IQ, they would know that the two prices have absolutely nothing in common.

I check with Clausing years ago and the parts I needed were long gone, being they are the most common damaged. I still have the original parts and can measure them. After I found out I couldn't get new parts , I started searching for used and here I am. I’m deep in other projects, but I try periodically to try to find a solution. I’m thinking the acme part of the screw could be straighten fairly easily, as the long screw will be a little forgiving. But I’m afraid if it try to straighten the end pieces they will break off. I would like a pro to do it, as I am not well versed in that skill.

Bones

Then I will make the following suggestions. If you did not already do it, call Clausing and ask them to send you the drawings. They probably aren't needed just to straighten a part but if the straightening isn't successful, you will need them to either repair or make a replacement from scratch.

I don't know of anyone offhand to recommend for straightening, and if I did it would probably be someone in Houston. So I would suggest visiting one or more of the larger machine shops in Muskogee and ask if they do that sort of work or if not who they would recommend.

Thanks, I had to chuckle at the “ larger machine shops” in Muskogee! We only have maybe one or two left here, and my “ go to” man died on me. I would have no problem shipping the shaft to anyone that is experienced in the straighting process. Might be able to find some one in Tulsa. Thanks,

Bones

That has been my experience with Clausing as well. If they still have the part in stock, don't ask for the drawing. If they don't have the part and if it has been flagged as obsolete in their system, they will usually send you a scan of the original drawing.

Their prices on new parts are current today, not what you would find in an old price sheet. Some people who have old machines are living in a dream world I guess. They always seem to have to compare the price of a new part with the bargain basement price they paid for the complete machine. If they had greater than single-digit IQ, they would know that the two prices have absolutely nothing in common.

You see the same with Logan. There are new parts that cost as much as some paid for their whole lathe. Rather than being happy that Logan Actuator who hasn't even been in the lathe business for decades has chosen to support the lathes that bear their name, you see many grumbling about the prices.

Yes the parts are expensive, but being able to go right to the source if you don't want to spend time shopping used is pretty nice and not an option for a lot of brands.

Back