need replacement pump diaphragm for power hacksaw

Inflight

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an old power hacksaw from the 1940's that uses a simple diaphragm pump to circulate cutting oil on the return stoke. Can someone tell me where I can find replacement rubber diaphragm kits? It's a little larger than 3" OD and has six holes and a .25" plunger stud 2" long. I will be pumping sulphurized cutting oil (brown stuff). Otherwise I'll make my own using an older inner tube or something.

diphragm.jpg

Thanks for the assistance!
Matt

diphragm.jpg

The oil will eat an inner tube in short order. You'll need neoprene or some plastic rated for oil.

The oil will eat an inner tube in short order...

Thanks Hawkeye, I kind of figured that but wasn't sure.

I see mcmaster has neoprene sheet available but seems rather expensive. I thought pump diaphragms where a common maintenance replacement item. I've checked grainger, ebay, msc, enco and a few others. I must be searching with the wrong criteria.

find a auto parts store with old inventory. There are a lot of old fuel pumps that use a diaphragm such as yours.
Northwestern auto parts in grand rapids,MI comes to mind. Maybe Check Hemmings Motor news.
Also, a lot of marine engines use the rebuildable fuel pumps that use that diaphragm-try a marina.

find a auto parts store with old inventory. There are a lot of old fuel pumps that use a diaphragm such as yours.
Northwestern auto parts in grand rapids,MI comes to mind. Maybe Check Hemmings Motor news.
Also, a lot of marine engines use the rebuildable fuel pumps that use that diaphragm-try a marina.

+1

Bernie

I'm not sure how thick it needs to be, or what stuff you are looking at on McMaster, but this doesn't seem too expensive

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9013k81/=orpnh5

That is the 1/16" stuff in 6x6" squares and it's only $5.22. The larger pieces are more expensive, but less per square inch.

I repaired a diaphragm at work with a piece cut from a heavy polly bag.I put one on each side and bolted it up .It lasted 4 years

Back