Need small pin wrench, or creative options

AlfromNH

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is the worm gear shaft from my rotary table. The bearings are not by and very stiff so I’m trying to disassemble it. Problem is, it takes to very small pin wrenches, about 3/4” dia with 1/8” dia pinholes.
Grainger has a wrench that looks like it would work, but $45ea and I need two.
Anyone have any creative ideas?
C83C3D06-037B-4C27-90E6-8301D2FAA11E.jpeg

This is the worm gear shaft from my rotary table. The bearings are not by and very stiff so I’m trying to disassemble it. Problem is, it takes to very small pin wrenches, about 3/4” dia with 1/8” dia pinholes.
Grainger has a wrench that looks like it would work, but $45ea and I need two.
Anyone have any creative ideas?
View attachment 440031
Get a piece of steel and some pins and make your own.

Alternative would be getting a brass drift and tapping lightly at the holes so not to damage them. But, better to just make the tool. I have one in my toolbox that my dad made decades ago.

John

Turn and drill a bushing. The ID should slip on (not press) on the bushing with the pin.
Bore and tap a hole as close to the size of the pin hole as possible. Slip a metal dowel pin into the hole add a set screw to retain the pin.
To assist on turning this apparatus cut two flats for a large open end wrench (or a hex).
This make any sense?

Daryl
MN

Make your own is probably the best solution, but something else to think about is to use a pair of bent needle nose pliers. I do this from time to time in these situations when I need to do something quick and it isn't too precise.

...it takes to very small pin wrenches, about 3/4” dia with 1/8” dia pinholes...

Which pin wrench? For the right hand and middle, take a piece of flat bar. If it's 3/4 diameter, make it an inch or better. Quarter inch would probably do, 3/8 would be fool proof.... Drill, bore, or otherwise make a very close fitting hole to the diameter of that nut, holding it away from one long side. Cut away enough to leave 90 degrees of circle, and drill it for a pin at the point on the long edge where it will be at 90 degres to the edge of the circle.

Same idea for the face pin wrench that might be on the left. Bore, drill (or cut with an axe) a clearance hole, and drill for pins to coincide with the holes.

So long as they're a consistant diameter, fully round shank type, the chuck end of an old unloved drill bit usually makes a fine pin. If it's a good drill bit, you might have to trim the top off, they sometimes take a little damage to the part that was in the hole.

A bit of irony as I had just posted a project where I made a spanner with 1/8" pins on a 3/4" circle. My wrench was an axial and you need a radial wrench.

Tormach sells a hook type spanner for adjusting the angular contact bearings in the ball screws. That should fit your shaft but the hook is a little large the 1/8" square. A little work with a Dremel and it would work. IIRC, I paid around $11 for the pair. They were listed as $11 each but I got a pair when I bought them at one of their open house events. I asked it that was correct and they said yes.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I wound up drilling a couple holes in a clamp and inserting dowels. Clamped it all in a vise and used a punch to loosen the nut. Success!
More good news: the thrust bearings are a common type, only a couple bucks each.
20230305_160636.jpg

20230305_162932.jpg

Back